Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i bought a 2006 type s about a month and a half ago and been trying to figure out wth is going on with it before i get kpro.
Some history of the car. It used to be boosted with a k20z1 until it was blown by previous owner. Now it has a k20a2 block with z1 head and trans with z1 harness, using z1 trans and, assuming, stock 2006 ecu.
Now, as im starting to tinker with the car and clean things up i found it has no evap solenoid, air assist valve, coolant bypass on idle air assist, and both O2 sensor wires have been cut. It has a cai, plm headers, hks catback. I’ve checked and opened the ecu and it looks like any other ecu, no chip for kpro or ktuner.
the car seems to run strong, but whats bothering me is, how is there no check engine light with no O2 sensors and missing parts on the engine? I know the check engine light isnt pulled out because when i turn the key to acc the check engine bulb turns on.
If anyone may know why the cel doesn’t come on please let me know. Id just like to know why before i get kpro and start tuning.

UPDATE: hooked up a scanner and there’s codes
P0135 and p0141
Still dont know why the actual cel bulb wont turn on though.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Bulb out or does it have a tune? It shouldn't run good without an O2 signal as that's what leans and richens the fuel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bulb out or does it have a tune? It shouldn't run good without an O2 signal as that's what leans and richens the fuel.
Bulb turns on when i turn the key to acc. When i beat on the car i do smell gas and oil. My 04 base is tuned and catless and smells about the same when i floor it as well. So maybe the type s is tuned?? But how can the type s be tuned without kpro or ktuner. I know it can be flashed but i dont think a reflash can turn off check engine lights, right?

·
Past Driver’s Ed
604 Posts
It doesn't add up. Are you sure you don't have a primary O2 sensor. The ECU needs some kind of feedback unless maybe its running in failsafe mode. Tuned or no tune.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't add up. Are you sure you don't have a primary O2 sensor. The ECU needs some kind of feedback unless maybe its running in failsafe mode. Tuned or no tune.
thats why i posted to see if anyone would know lol. Im out of ideas on how the engine is running “fine”.
I looked under the car, both o2 sensors are there, but both sensor wires are cut, all 4 wires on each sensor. On the car end where the sensors would connect theres nothing plugged in. I looked up the wire harness to see if something was tapped or bypassed but there was nothing. Looked completely normal.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
604 Posts
In my experience, my RSX has force induction and is tuned to run on E85 with the ECU modified with Hondata Kpro-V4 ...... still needs input from the primary O2 sensor. Can't tune it without it. You have some powerful magic going on there. Does your VTEC still work? Can you redline the rpm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my experience, my RSX has force induction and is tuned to run on E85 with the ECU modified with Hondata Kpro-V4 ...... still needs input from the primary O2 sensor. Can't tune it without it. You have some powerful magic going on there. Does your VTEC still work? Can you redline the rpm?
everything works seemingly fine, hits vtec, redlines all the way. I dont know if It’s important or not, but when I’m in any gear except 6 and I’m at 4-4.5k rpm and give the throttle a few taps the exhaust crackles and pops like crazy. My friends 06 type s has i/h/e and will do it too but it’s not as crazy as mine.
with my experience with my base rsx primary o2 sensor, with it unplugged it noticeably ran like crap, but between my type s and my friends it runs about the same. Except mine smelling like exhaust fumes and gas when WOT.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
604 Posts
everything works seemingly fine, hits vtec, redlines all the way. I dont know if It’s important or not, but when I’m in any gear except 6 and I’m at 4-4.5k rpm and give the throttle a few taps the exhaust crackles and pops like crazy. My friends 06 type s has i/h/e and will do it too but it’s not as crazy as mine.
with my experience with my base rsx primary o2 sensor, with it unplugged it noticeably ran like crap, but between my type s and my friends it runs about the same. Except mine smelling like exhaust fumes and gas when WOT.
Interesting, my RSX won't run very well without a primary O2 sensor. In fact my tuner wouldn't even touch my car unless I first upgraded to a more accurate wideband O2 sensor. You say the ECU doesn't have a daughter-board (Kpro) added, but it may have been upgraded with a reflash. Reflash will allow VTEC to engage at 5200 rpm. When does your VTEC engage? Multiple reasons for smelling raw fuel starting with you don’t have a primary O2 sensor working with the ECU to adjust the fuel ratio as needed. Without a primary O2 sensor, your engine is running blind which you know can cause some serious damage. Even running overly rich can cause the excess fuel to rinse the oil film off the cylinder walls which will accelerate wear. My final word, without Kpro, or a digital wideband O2 sensor we don’t know what is really going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, my RSX won't run very well without a primary O2 sensor. In fact my tuner wouldn't even touch my car unless I first upgraded to a more accurate wideband O2 sensor. You say the ECU doesn't have a daughter-board (Kpro) added, but it may have been upgraded with a reflash. Reflash will allow VTEC to engage at 5200 rpm. When does your VTEC engage? Multiple reasons for smelling raw fuel starting with you don’t have a primary O2 sensor working with the ECU to adjust the fuel ratio as needed. Without a primary O2 sensor, your engine is running blind which you know can cause some serious damage. Even running overly rich can cause the excess fuel to rinse the oil film off the cylinder walls which will accelerate wear. My final word, without Kpro, or a digital wideband O2 sensor we don’t know what is really going on.
Vtec engages around 5800-6k
Mpg would be affected too wouldnt it? I know it depends how i drive, I’ve just been driving to and from work how anyone would, not really flooring it. I haven’t calculated it with miles ive driven yet but id say it’s about the same as my base. After i reflashed the base, mpg dropped quite a bit.
I’m still looking around the electronics of the car to see if i find anything odd, but so far nothing.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
604 Posts
Well with your VTEC engaging at 5800 - 6000 rpm, most likely your ECU is stock. With modern day fuel injection and a good tune, my fuel consumption is pretty good even with 1000cc injectors. The engine is as happy as a pig in shit just sipping on fuel. But if I lose my discipline and smash the pedal till the old girl is screaming at 8600 rpms, she becomes a drunken whore (check out video in my showcase). Especially when I’m running on E85. Take it from an old fart who has been around the block a few times, our RSX really needs a primary O2 sensor to perform well. Hook up your primary O2 sensor and see if you notice a difference. See you at the end of the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts