Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my DIY for new Tweeter mounts for the EDI6500’s in an RSX.
This can be tried for other tweeters, but these where made specifically for the edi’s.

Back story:
I wanted to mount my new tweeters, but I didn’t want to do any cutting of my dash, tweeters, or my OEM tweeters that came in the car. I do like the plastic covers, but I don’t know if I may need them for later sale of the car. So to be on the safe side, I decided to fabricate something else. This is what I came up with. Thinking of a material that I could easily cut and manipulate, and is in pretty much abundance, and free; I found that the bottom of a soda/beer can is actually almost the perfect diameter of the tweeters, so here we go.

What you’ll need.

3 soda cans (just incase of any slip ups) or a used can of cresent rolls. *version 2*
Pair of sharp scissors
Razor or sharp Swiss army knife
Tape (I used transparent duct tape, that stuff is awesome)
Spray paint *optional* I used Black High Heat Engine Spray Paint.
Speaker cloth. (I found an old computer speaker that wanted to give its cloth for the greater good)
2 or 3 rubber bands *(thiner is better)*, preferably new ones, they will rot in the car, but not so bad and how hard is it to replace a rubber band in a year, really? (A cave man could do it, thanks geico)

Here is a comparison on what you get from ED, and my new version.

And the after picture.

Ok, its not an awesome picture, I'm using my Verizon Chocolate, just hang in there.
You may have noticed, I did upgrade the wiring, that’s up to you of course.

************Version 2 *********************

(left = Version 1. Middle = Stock, Right = Version 2.)

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Step 1. Get your items together, hunt down the cans. Make sure they are good and washed out, and dried off. Don’t want a sticky mess.

Step 2. Take the bottom halves off the 2 cans.

Step 3. Cut in a smaller circular motion, so you don’t make a mess of the can bottom. And cut till you get your desired diameter, and lengths. Feel free to take out your stock tweeter, and compare them.

Step 4. Cut an X in the bottom of the can, so the speaker can protrude. Once, this is done, clip the pieces of the X out, and follow the contour of the outer rim.

Here are some extra pictures, of the clearances.

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Step 5. You always have an option of mounting the speakers where they would protrude more, I decided against it, I wanted something more flush and OEM looking.

Step 6. Cut out the other bottom, and follow the same steps, so you have to matching rings.

Step 7. *Optional* I decided after test fitting these in the car, like so, they would be blinding me even with the black cloth, cause of the small holes in the fabric, so I opted to spray paint the rings, with some Black High Heat Engine Paint. I used that because it was either that, or some Black Krylon Fusion. I decided on the Engine paint that I used on my calipers that it would be best with the aluminum on the dash, because the sun will always be hitting it, and it actually helped decrease the heat of the metal once applied and then put in the sun. Pretty cool huh? If you can get flat black that will probably help even more.

Step 8. Take your new mounts and set them up with the tweeter, if you haven’t already taken the shroud/mount off the tweeter do so now, so you can assure proper fitment.

Step 9. Break out the tape, and cut 4 pieces. Over lap them, then put one long piece on one side, over the magnet then to the other side (like a bottom strap). Then wrap one more long peice around all of those along the sides, holding them all together. Just make sure you get the tape in there nice and snug in the bottom of the ridge. Any excess that over hangs, fold it over to the front, it will help the tape stay on better.

Step 10. Take a square sized section of your speaker cloth, and place the speaker in the middle, face down. Then fold the cloth into itself and temporarily tape the ends to the wire, while pulling the cloth tight. Once your done taping, flip it over, and smooth out any wrinkles.

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Step 11. Take a rubber band, double it. Then place it around one and put the speaker in the other, and apply the rubber band around the cloth. Once its on there, smooth out the fabric on the front as needed.

Step 12. Take the tape on the end of the cloth and wire, off. And adjust as needed.

Step 13. Take the speaker and make sure everything is flush and then trim off any overly excess cloth. I kept my cloth pretty long, so it and the rubber band can help hold the speaker in the dash snuggly.

Step 14. Take the speakers out to the car, and test fit them.

Step 15. Wire the speakers up! And you’re done.

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Glad to so you guys can read. First thing in the first post is that I was updating. Patience is key.

It should be all there now that I'm done, it takes a bit of time to set these things up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Damn that looks hot especially the speaker covering. My question is did you have roo underneath the stock tweater location to work in there? How hard was it to get your hands up from the underdash to the tweater location. Thanks a ton and hope you enjoy your work

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn that looks hot especially the speaker covering. My question is did you have roo underneath the stock tweater location to work in there? How hard was it to get your hands up from the underdash to the tweater location.
Thats the cool thing. You don't have to work from the bottom of the speaker, just pop out the stock. disconnect the wire, hide the connector. drop the new speaker wire down the hole, and pull it out on the bottom. (if you have problems feeding the cable, tape it to a wire coat hanger, and poke it thru. ) connect the new wires, fit everything in the hole, and pop it down.

If you aren't replacing the stock wiring, then add a factory speaker connector, or cut the one of the stock tweeter, and connect it to the new tweeter, then stuff it in. easy as pie. :D

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now finish that big 3 upgrade lol
Well $'s short right now, I got what I need and wires ran so far, but the rest 3 is going to be done at a later time. But don't worry, If and when I upgrade the ALT wire, I will post it to my previous DIY.

I'm hoping to have my mids mounted on the doors tonight, and my amp rack cut. All depends on what the wife's doing tonight =] hehe. :noes:

·
SnakeEyes Zilla FTW
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
* update * after a few hot sunny days, I had to toughen up the support for the tweeter, added a layer of tape behind the speaker, like a cradle. Works great!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts