Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The one thing I didn't like about the RSX was the gapeing open area from the wheel wells to the rear of the engine compartment. :eek:

I am guessing that over time a lot of dust, mud and road grime is going to find its way to make the engine compartment look like crap. :(

I wonder if one could take a piece of rubber and make a flap or cover to seal most of the area off. I know that the steering linkage has to pass through, but has anyone tried to remedy this? :confused:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was wondering that, too. My dealer says it won't be a problem at all, but I know that snow and salt are going to find there way in there this winter. Hope the dealer's right and I'm wrong:dontknow:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It's not a big of a problem as most of us thought in the beginning.

After 1 year, most of the residue is accumulating in the front of the car, near the intake manifold.

The openings actually help with heat dissipation.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
One year, one winter, 13,000 miles later. My engine still looks great.

I cleaned it before summer. Propped the hood up. Sprayed it down with some degreaser and then sprayed it with a garden hose.

I then used tire foam stuff to make it shine up nice. heh

·
Registered
714 Posts
Choser said:
You can just hose down the engine bay?
Sure, you can spray it down. You can't blast it.

If you do spary it down, DO NOT do it after driving it (DUH!). Spary it down after letting it sit for a few hours or overnight. You just want to get it wet to wipe it down. It helps to lossen parts and use small towels. Besure to wipe down the rubber hoses since it's grim that kills the hoses. Nothing sucks worst then a vacuum leak. Use Vinylex to protent the hoses. Every 15k, I like to remove parts from the fenderwells and engine to give it a troughly cleaning, wipe down with vylex, and wax the paint. It's a timely process and not something recommened for n00bs, but it looks like new when you're done.

The post should really be in the Car Care section, but since you asked...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Blah, blast away. That's how professional detailers do it. Start car, prop hood, spray degreaser if necessary, spray away. There is no distributor on our cars, so the only thing you need to watch out for is the alternator.

With a newer car like ours, the degreaser isn't really necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.