Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I had Koni Yellows installed this past week on my 04 type s. Stock suspension was blown and I just wanted to replace it with a decent suspension that I wouldn't have to worry about for a good amount of time. The shop had never done that type of work before and told me if they knew it was that difficult to install the Koni's they wouldn't have done it. So the right spring is making noise and my question is, is this noise happening because I used the stock springs? Would this noise stop if I bought new springs? I'm pretty much frustrated with how much money I've put in the suspension already and it hasn't come out right.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Resident hater
7,647 Posts
im willing to bet the shop fucked something up since you say they had no experience with it before. what kind of noise is it? clunk? squeak? does it happen all the time or over bumps or while turning?

·
Registered
158 Posts
its most likely either the spring or upper strut mount was installed incorrectly, or the upper strut mount and bearing is pooched. But then again the shock in a koni yellow is shorter then a shock in a factory strut. So there could be a few problems there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A shop that's never installed a strut insert... wow, I think you picked the wrong place to go to get a suspension installed.

Pretty much guaranteed you'll have to pull apart the front suspension to fix what they messed up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I haven't longed on in a long long time. Thank you to all that replied.

About the noise, it's definitely a clunk. Happens only when you turn, left or right, driving or parked so I know it is directly involved with the suspension. The shop told me that it was because the stock springs don't have the rubber piece around them and they are probably moving a bit when I drive. I feel like this could be true, but not sure. Since I spent so much on the purchase and installation I didn't immediately put more money into it. I instead went to get an alignment since I also put 2 new tires in the front.

Results, car was not aligned. I called back and was told that my left lower control arm was slightly bent. Imagine my fustration when I asked why this wasn't explained to me when I picked up my car. (Btw this is a different shop then where I got the shocks installed) The print out they give you when they align the car was given to me and it showed that the car was in fact aligned. Now about the lower control arm....they said the left one was bent, but the only thing I have hit that can bend my control arm was definitely hit with my front right wheel, not my left.

Point is that my car pulls heavily to the right and sometimes it pulls slightly to the left. I started to realize that this shift in alignment happens when I turn the wheel completely left or right. So I'm thinking that there is obviously something seriously wrong here. I've never seen alignments just change. The lower control arm cannot be the sole reason why my car pulls drastically to the right, because I've had about 3 alignments since I hit that wheel and the results have never been like this, they haven't been out of the factory perfect, but definitely drivable.

With my obviously bad luck with shops, I was hoping someone here may have an idea of what the hell I should do before I go spend more money on another idiot shop

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
120 Posts
:wavey:
Ok, so I haven't longed on in a long long time. Thank you to all that replied.

About the noise, it's definitely a clunk. Happens only when you turn, left or right, driving or parked so I know it is directly involved with the suspension. The shop told me that it was because the stock springs don't have the rubber piece around them and they are probably moving a bit when I drive. I feel like this could be true, but not sure. Since I spent so much on the purchase and installation I didn't immediately put more money into it. I instead went to get an alignment since I also put 2 new tires in the front.

Results, car was not aligned. I called back and was told that my left lower control arm was slightly bent. Imagine my fustration when I asked why this wasn't explained to me when I picked up my car. (Btw this is a different shop then where I got the shocks installed) The print out they give you when they align the car was given to me and it showed that the car was in fact aligned. Now about the lower control arm....they said the left one was bent, but the only thing I have hit that can bend my control arm was definitely hit with my front right wheel, not my left.

Point is that my car pulls heavily to the right and sometimes it pulls slightly to the left. I started to realize that this shift in alignment happens when I turn the wheel completely left or right. So I'm thinking that there is obviously something seriously wrong here. I've never seen alignments just change. The lower control arm cannot be the sole reason why my car pulls drastically to the right, because I've had about 3 alignments since I hit that wheel and the results have never been like this, they haven't been out of the factory perfect, but definitely drivable.

With my obviously bad luck with shops, I was hoping someone here may have an idea of what the hell I should do before I go spend more money on another idiot shop

Thanks in advance
This is what I'm experiencing with the pulling. When it was stock it drove perfect. We can't be the only ones who experienced this.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Check the screw on the bottom of the strut for tightness. If it comes loose you can get clunking sounds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
:wavey:

This is what I'm experiencing with the pulling. When it was stock it drove perfect. We can't be the only ones who experienced this.

Me too.

When I turn left, my car pulls left afterwards. When I turn right, my car goes straight or pulls slightly right.

I am also getting squeaking/creaking from my front passenger side Koni strut assembly. Sort of like a rusty door hinge. Crrrreeeeaaakkk... I think it might be the spring seat or the bearing. Either way, the entire assembly has to come out before I can find out for sure. I'm just putting it off for now, since it's only a minor annoyance.

If anyone wants to disassemble theirs and inspect the bearing / upper spring seat, please post your results here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have the tools to disassemble mine, if not I would've done it a long time ago. I don't want to take it anywhere here because they will charge me an arm and a leg and their all incompetent hobos in Tally

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you have the printout of your alignment? Try negative camber with 0 toe. Mine have a very slight pull but overall I can let go of the steering wheel and it will stay straight for a very ling time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts