Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i never liked the thought of spending alot of HIDs so i just went with some hyper white lights for like $20 a pair localy, but they burnt out. So my question is are there any white or blue (i hate the OEM yellowish color) h1 lights that are worth buying, and wont burn out for at least a year?

If so please direct me to where i can buy them
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
386 Posts
Phillips VisionPlus. $30 for a pair, last 2 years and are WAY brighter than OEM. Not up to HID spec, but great for the price. Works great if you don't have the green for HID's (~$400 and up).

Do a google search. I'd list the website in the UK that I got them from, but I'd worry that my posting would be deleted.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
Harness or no harness does not make a difference in bulb longevity. If it does it only serves to reduce its lifetime. Higher wattage bulbs will urn out faster, it is all part of physics, and you can't bend the rules on that one.

I would say you get what you pay for.
Interestingly enough, consumer reports did a study on OEM vs. "brighter" aftermarket bulbs recently. OEM bulbs, even when they put out less light intesity, had better results over every bulb they tested.

·
<3 Bridget Regan
3,842 Posts
RSX-CT said:
Harness or no harness does not make a difference in bulb longevity. If it does it only serves to reduce its lifetime. Higher wattage bulbs will urn out faster, it is all part of physics, and you can't bend the rules on that one.

I would say you get what you pay for.
Interestingly enough, consumer reports did a study on OEM vs. "brighter" aftermarket bulbs recently. OEM bulbs, even when they put out less light intesity, had better results over every bulb they tested.
Well, I retract what i just said!:spin:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm very interesting, but damn i just want some white or blue headlights! that wont burn out in a few months. And HIDs are just so damn expensive. i think ill just go with some of the lights recomended up top and not touch the bulb. And hell if i pay 15 bucks for it i dont mind replacing one buld every 5 or 6 months.

·
Registered
386 Posts
RSX-CT said:
I trust what you say implicity, Todd.

I did, however try the OEM bulb in one headlight and the Phillips VisionPlus bulb in the other just to compare the difference. On the Phillips side I could easily see an extra ~30-40 feet down the road than the OEM. Plus it was whiter, making the OEM bulb look yellow in comparison. Just my own experience.

·
Headlight Guy
8,513 Posts
Old Timer said:
I trust what you say implicity, Todd.

I did, however try the OEM bulb in one headlight and the Phillips VisionPlus bulb in the other just to compare the difference. On the Phillips side I could easily see an extra ~30-40 feet down the road than the OEM. Plus it was whiter, making the OEM bulb look yellow in comparison. Just my own experience.
All I can say is philips blue vision is one of the bulbs CR tested against OEM. They actually did okay, the best of the aftemarkets against OEM, and even surpassed OEM in one test (the one and only bulb). The thing to remember too, is philips makes OEM bulbs as well, so they have good practice in making them right. I use the blue visions on my high beams actually, but that is not a good indicator of longevity.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i ordered some h1 blues from XenonDirect so ill be carefull not to touch the bulb itself and post in a couple of months or so to tell results some pics too

·
Registered
386 Posts
RSX-CT said:
All I can say is philips blue vision is one of the bulbs CR tested against OEM. They actually did okay, the best of the aftemarkets against OEM, and even surpassed OEM in one test (the one and only bulb). The thing to remember too, is philips makes OEM bulbs as well, so they have good practice in making them right. I use the blue visions on my high beams actually, but that is not a good indicator of longevity.
The Phillips Vision Plus puts out more light than the BlueVision. That's why I got them over the BlueVisions. According to Phillips, the BlueVisions put out 30% more light than standard while the VisionPlus put out 50% more. Apparently you lose luminosity when you opt for the HID-style blue tint in an H1 bulb.

Oh, and for the record, I'm just using the Phillips VisionPlus H1's as a budget upgrade until I have the cash for HID retrofits from RSX-CT. They're good but not as good as real HID's done "the right way", as Coach Larry Brown would say.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Hmmm good thread......I might have look into some of these. One time "at band camp" no jk......I stopped by my friend's house with 2 working after market low beams and no High beams. I had bought a new pair of aftermarket light blue H1's and was going to put em in soo I can have Highbeams again. Soooo too make a long story short, i showed up with 2 working low beams and 2 new packaged "to be" high beam bulbs. and I ended up leaving with one working low beam. The next morning I had to stop by a Pep Boys for OEM's those freaking cheap shits all burnt out!

·
i have big wang
5,045 Posts
come on guys... even a college student like me can find ways to save up for hids... worth every penny, ain't buying the next car without them.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
ericlala said:
come on guys... even a college student like me can find ways to save up for hids... worth every penny, ain't buying the next car without them.
hhhhmmmmm......who pays for the books, classes, cost of living, and all that other junk? oh and one more.........who payed for the car or put the down payment? not trying to diss you in anyway....just a quick study....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Well, when you've got a mortgage, property taxes, school tuition, books for school, homeowner's insurance, flood insurance, earthquake insurance, car insurance, food bills, kids clothing, daycare and the IRS bill all due, HID's get placed pretty low on the priority list. Oh well.

But I'll get there someday, hopefully sooner rather than later.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Old Timer said:
Well, when you've got a mortgage, property taxes, school tuition, books for school, homeowner's insurance, flood insurance, earthquake insurance, car insurance, food bills, kids clothing, daycare and the IRS bill all due, HID's get placed pretty low on the priority list. Oh well.

But I'll get there someday, hopefully sooner rather than later.
geeezzzzz you are an Old Timer!! I thought I was drowing in bills with my car payment, rent, auto insurance, cell bill, and credit card bills. LOL looks like I barely got my toes in the water compared to that list! Scarry......
but yea HID's R low on the list here also! 05 Front Conversion is way on top of that!:thumbsup: (which is also taking forever with spontanious needed expenses)

·
Rangers Babyyy!!!!
11,954 Posts
Kingdom said:
ok i ordered some h1 blues from XenonDirect so ill be carefull not to touch the bulb itself and post in a couple of months or so to tell results some pics too

really link me i want those. Currently i have nokya h1 headlights bulbs 70watt bulbs, and there white but i want blue lights that will put out the same wattage but couldnt find any anywhere, anyone know

·
Registered
386 Posts
STREAKER said:
geeezzzzz you are an Old Timer!! I thought I was drowing in bills with my car payment, rent, auto insurance, cell bill, and credit card bills. LOL looks like I barely got my toes in the water compared to that list! Scarry......
but yea HID's R low on the list here also! 05 Front Conversion is way on top of that!:thumbsup: (which is also taking forever with spontanious needed expenses)
:rotfl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.