Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get into Auto-X'ing as soon as possible. You guys make it sound like a lot of fun.

I was going to upgrade my wheel and tire combo before I attend my first Auto-X. I'm getting 17X7.5 Volk CE28N. What tire brand and size would you recommend? 215-45-17 or 225-45-17? Falken, Toyo, Dunlop, etc? Should I not use the Volk's in Auto-X or stick with the stock rims and just upgrade the tires? So many questions that I need answered. Please help a fellow member out!

FYI: CE28N 17X7.5=13.8lbs.
Stock Rims =16lbs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It depends... Do you want to stay in stock class? If so, use the OEM wheels and put on some different tires. If you're ok with moving out of stock, then get whatever rims you like -- just don't get anything too heavy. My only first-hand experience is with the Stock tires and my Bridgestone S03's, which I love. The S03's are excellent--stocks suck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess I don't really care if I stay in stock or not. I just want to know what are best tire sizes for my rims and what brand of tire is the best for the auto-x sport. I would like to hear ALL comments.

·
blue
350 Posts
17" rims would move you up to sts. you should get 225/45r17 falken azenis.

·
behind your rearview
9,244 Posts
I got a question...

I wanna get the Azenis for my stock rims... the thing is, I wanna run a wider tire...but the sizes they have in 16 are only 205/55/16 (stock) and 215/45/16

I know if I run the 215's my gears will be shorter and my milage will increase...

should I just stay with the stock size and still be fine on autox? or is the difference just little enough that I can run the 45's instead of stock 55....

·
blue
350 Posts
no

·
still lurking around
1,841 Posts
synk said:
17" rims would move you up to sts. you should get 225/45r17 falken azenis.
Falkens are wider from most tires so there might be a risk of rubbing. I run 215 45 16 on my stock rims and there almost as wide as my 225 45 17.

·
still lurking around
1,841 Posts
Fire-Ballz said:
I want to get into Auto-X'ing as soon as possible. You guys make it sound like a lot of fun.

I was going to upgrade my wheel and tire combo before I attend my first Auto-X. I'm getting 17X7.5 Volk CE28N. What tire brand and size would you recommend? 215-45-17 or 225-45-17? Falken, Toyo, Dunlop, etc? Should I not use the Volk's in Auto-X or stick with the stock rims and just upgrade the tires? So many questions that I need answered. Please help a fellow member out!

FYI: CE28N 17X7.5=13.8lbs.
Stock Rims =16lbs.
I just look at it this way. Its cheaper to replace tires for 16s than 17s :D

·
still lurking around
1,841 Posts
zeroryde said:
I got a question...

I wanna get the Azenis for my stock rims... the thing is, I wanna run a wider tire...but the sizes they have in 16 are only 205/55/16 (stock) and 215/45/16

I know if I run the 215's my gears will be shorter and my milage will increase...

should I just stay with the stock size and still be fine on autox? or is the difference just little enough that I can run the 45's instead of stock 55....
I ran 215 45 16 on the street for bout 2 months and I got relatively the same mileage. And it definately picks up quicker

·
Crazy Cone Chaser
379 Posts
buhda said:

I ran 215 45 16 on the street for bout 2 months and I got relatively the same mileage. And it definately picks up quicker
The gearing would be to your advantage. I ride on 215/40x16" which is smaller (.5") than it should be. Acceleration is much quicker and mileage added to your car is negliable over time. Since your tires expand and contract with changing temperatures. My friend who works a speedometer shop says they only set speedos/odometers within 500 miles of what you request or should have.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It isn't working

I put a set of 225/45r17 falken azenis on light rims and they were way to big for the wheel wells. I had to modify the fenders to make them work. I have a set 205/55/16 azenis (stock size) on my stock rims and turn much better times with them compaired to the larger 17s. I tried a set of the 215/45/16 on light rims but the car seems to push bad and once again my times are worse. It seems with the wider tires my ass end stays put and I think that is throwing me off.

·
behind your rearview
9,244 Posts
Re: It isn't working

daddy S said:
I put a set of 225/45r17 falken azenis on light rims and they were way to big for the wheel wells. I had to modify the fenders to make them work. I have a set 205/55/16 azenis (stock size) on my stock rims and turn much better times with them compaired to the larger 17s. I tried a set of the 215/45/16 on light rims but the car seems to push bad and once again my times are worse. It seems with the wider tires my ass end stays put and I think that is throwing me off.
whoa thanx for the tip... I'll keep that in mind to see if that will happen, I guess for my next setup since I just totally killed my stock michelins today doing a 2-driver car with my car...

I mean... it is fubar... and I will need these azenis by next week....when ever I get my paycheck to pay for them...
my tires are so falling apart...

·
Crazy Cone Chaser
379 Posts
Re: It isn't working

daddy S said:
You have to realize though that each tire might require readjustments in air pressures. Some have stiffer sidewalls while others don't.

I have 215/40x16" Yokohama A520s and 215/40x16" Kumho 712s and the A520s required 38f/32r for neutral handling. The 712s needed 42f/38r for the same neutral feeling.

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
215s are wider than the stock, which is 205..

If you really want to compete in stock you'll need racing slicks anyway. I think your best bet is to go STS, then you can do most of the other usual mods (springs/shocks/bars/intake/exhaust).

Maybe I'm just a newb but I really don't understand the "stock" class.... they don't allow hardly any mods, but then allow race tires?? Seems like they should require street legal rubber in stock.. I mean you can't even drive that car on the street, how is it "stock"??? .. but what do I know.

But if I were you, and I am sorta :) I'd stay with the 16" rims and get the Azenis, which I am :) Seems like people actually prefer smaller wheels for Auto-X. :dontknow: :wavey:

·
blue
350 Posts
the race tires he listed ARE street legal

·
Crazy Cone Chaser
379 Posts
Right you have to realize the Azenis are wider than they say. My four 205/50x15" Kumho VictorRacers were 4-6" shorter stacked next to my four 205/50x15" Azenis.

·
Registered
951 Posts
CivicSiRacer said:
Right you have to realize the Azenis are wider than they say. My four 205/50x15" Kumho VictorRacers were 4-6" shorter stacked next to my four 205/50x15" Azenis.
Agreed. My 215 Falkens are almost as wide as some 225s

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.