Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 52k miles and it's time for that tune-up. Valve timing if it needs it, new plugs, fluid refresh, new pads, etc. The nearest Honda dealership I trust is about 50 miles away and I'd be stuck there waiting for them to finish. Also - I've got about a $1000 credit line at our local Michael Tires Plus shops. They are all purpose shops (exhaust, transmission, suspension, etc...).

My question is. Would you be comfortable taking your car for it's scheduled maintenance to a non-specialized shop - or just pay the cash and take it to a Honda/Acura dealer? Btw, I have a stock '02 type-s.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That would really depend on your budget and how much you trust the shop or anybody in particular to do your maintence...i know for a fact the dealer will rip you off for all that...try to research diffrent areas..and if their is no other option take it in as your own will...good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it does need a tune-up or not, I think the shop should be able to tell if it's running properly or not. And my gas mileage sucks. I get about 240-260 miles out of a tank. I do live in a very hilly area tho.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm only moderately savvy with mechanics. I can change all the fluids, plugs, and brakes myself - but since I'm driving her across the country in a month - I'm not confident enough to make the finer adjustments myself. On the other hand, it's always a good place to start learning.

·
Premium Member
15,843 Posts
yeah, don't mess with the valve lash, i'm sure it's not needed yet... just do the fluids and other things you said you can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts