Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I having a K20/K24 motor built. I have spent big bucks so far and put nothing but quality products in my car and I have gained only half what I was shooting for.

Intake
3" CAI
74mm throttle body
ported RBC to match trottle body

K24 Block
12.5 to 1 compression
forged pistons and rods

K20 Head
Ported and Polished
Stage 2 Kelford cams
Upgraded valves spring
1mm over sized valves

Exhaust
ASP header
K-teller 3 inch piping
Vibrant Stealth 3" muffler

Fuel
600cc Deatchwerks Injectors

K-pro version 3

When I delivered the car I had the shop dyno it before doing anything. Said it was right at 200whp. After having all this done to my car I'm making 253whp. I was really shooting for as close to 300 as possible. The car really falls on it's face after 6k to 8k rpms. My builder is saying the car is actually starved for air right now. He did a little experiment and put a short 3" intake tube with no filter on it and it gained 4whp with no other tuning.

My options are, put a 3.5 or 4" intake tube to my 74mm throttle body and port match the RBC to the head. Ill be looking at close to 800 to 1000 bucks more for these two mods. I see it being worth it if ill get some substantial gains but it wont be worth it if i only get 10whp.

Do you guys think with these two mods I'll get close to my 300whp goal?

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
no dyno :needpics:. From what I've seen on here (I lurk a lot and just learn/reap) you do need a 3.5" or 4" intake to make it worth your while. Don't know what numbers that would profit but I would imagine 15-20hp from a 4" intake alone, so just start with that (a lot cheaper, no?)

·
Resident hater
7,647 Posts
Who did the port work? The cams are on the small side if you really want 300.

All motor power is in the head.

·
Resident hater
7,647 Posts
Don't get too caught up with the numbers. They are after all just numbers. Put it on a different dyno and watch the numbers change on the same tune. Mine's made as much as 268 and as little as 255 between all the different dynos I've been on.

Throw it on a track and get some real numbers

·
Shazaam
4,601 Posts
The cams are on the small side if you really want 300.
Don't get too caught up with the numbers. They are after all just numbers. Put it on a different dyno and watch the numbers change on the same tune. Mine's made as much as 268 and as little as 255 between all the different dynos I've been on.

Throw it on a track and get some real numbers
^That. First of all, I would try different cams. I haven't seen very many people have great results with Kelford Bs. But why do you care about the numbers? How does the car feel? Take it to the track and beat on it before you make a decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I decided to grab the car back for right now. It's been 3 long months and I'm just tapped out.

The plan is for nitrous around fall time so I'll have the intake tube redesigned and have the runners ported then. Only reason I'm saying 300 is because I was hoping for as close to a 100whp gain with all the mods. It dynoed at 200whp with all my bolt ons before having the motor built. I'd be happy with 275-280.

Call pulls like a monster compared to what it was before. :weeeeeeeeee:

Ill have to get some pics loaded up on my showoff page.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.