Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stage 1 turbo. I've only had it running for about a week or so. Everything except for the leak in the manifold, which i had repaired, has been fine. Yesterday, I took a friend for a ride and got on it pretty good. I took it to the top of 4th. I when i took my eyes off the road to glance back at the gauges, i saw that the egt was dangerously high (over 15) i immediately got off of it. I didn't hear any knock or detonation, and the car seems to be fine, but why the hell did the car lean out like that. I had it dynoed and i'm running 10's up on top for a/f. I haven't really gotten on the car since, but if i'm in 4th gear and go into boost (up to 5k rpms). The temp goes up very quickly (close to 14). I didn't do this often, i just wanted to check. I'm going to bring it back to the dyno to get i checked out. just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions,

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
tricky r u the guy with the CN kit i met over at pruven? if so, how did everything work out?

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, that was me... everything worked out ok. the ic pipe going into the throtle body was jamed in there, so i was only at about 35% throttle. they backed out the ic pipe and it worked fine. not sure what's goin on now tho.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
TRICKY912 said:
yea, that was me... everything worked out ok. the ic pipe going into the throtle body was jamed in there, so i was only at about 35% throttle. they backed out the ic pipe and it worked fine. not sure what's goin on now tho.
iT all depends on where you EGT is reading... the ideal place is to have it on your intake manifold and your leanest cylinder(usually #3) but like in my case, its on the down pipe, so those numbers are alright... try redlining 5th and you will see the gauge peged out!fun stuff ( i'm dyno tuned too)

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my gauge is tapped on the collector of the manifold. I haven't seen the temp go up as high as it went yesterday. I'm not sure what the normal reading should be for wot. I was assuming it shouldn't be any higher that 14 or so. I'm not sure if i want to try redlining 5th. does anyone know what the normal temp should be during wot with the tape located where i have it? I really don't think i caused any damage, but i'm not about to take any chances.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Were you at full throttle, or at partial throttle?

Were you just cruising or were you on boost while cruising?

You might be boosting in partial throttle, and depending on how your ECU is tuned, you might be in closed loop map with boost, and since most tuners don't tune for cloded loop maps, it will most likely be running the 14.5:1 AF ratio, and since you were on boost that might have spiked the EGT.

You might want to make sure that you don't come on boost when you cruise, or when you are in light throttle.

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was at full throttle... i went from 1st through the top of 4th the whole time at full throttle. i do make boost at partial throttle occasionally when i'm passing someone, but i'm pretty much all or nothing when driving.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
tricky did u get tuned at pruven yet? just wondering what your putting down

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
TRICKY912 said:
i was at full throttle... i went from 1st through the top of 4th the whole time at full throttle. i do make boost at partial throttle occasionally when i'm passing someone, but i'm pretty much all or nothing when driving.
Did you also cross reference the A\F ratio to see if you are running too lean?

If your A\F ratio is fine, then maybe your ignition timing is too retarded or your exhaust system is too backed-up. Also make sure your boost level is set properly to the ECU's programmed values.

BTW, did you notice if it was always high or it spiked high? Eitherway, 1500 degrees is a bit on the high side, unless you have forged internals and titanium exhaust valves :D

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it may be the exhaust, i haven't upgraded it yet, i didn't want to go with a test pipe and 3 inch until it warms up a little. less chance for boost creep. It usually never goes over 14. I talked to someone from the performance shop that tuned the car, they said that the weather was probably the diff. The a/f was fine on the dyno but 40 degree temps on the highway makes a big diff. He said as long as i didnt hear any detonation i should be ok, but i was def on the edge.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
TRICKY912 said:
it may be the exhaust, i haven't upgraded it yet, i didn't want to go with a test pipe and 3 inch until it warms up a little. less chance for boost creep. It usually never goes over 14. I talked to someone from the performance shop that tuned the car, they said that the weather was probably the diff. The a/f was fine on the dyno but 40 degree temps on the highway makes a big diff. He said as long as i didnt hear any detonation i should be ok, but i was def on the edge.
?????????

You would upgrade your exhaust to PREVENT boost creep........

Also, if your A\F Ratio is OK, then your EGT has nothing to do with the outside air temp. If it is cold out, your intake charge after the I\C would be colder and more dense. This might make you run slightly lean, but if your AF ratio is fine, then that's not really the problem.

You either have a really backed up exhaust system, a really retarded ignition timing or a faulty EGT reading.

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i said i didn't upgrade the exhaust because i was afraid of boost creep in these cold temps. if i did go with 3inch from the downpipe back, i'd probably get some serious boost spike
you're probably right my exhaust is most likely too restrictive.

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
TRICKY912 said:
i said i didn't upgrade the exhaust because i was afraid of boost creep in these cold temps. if i did go with 3inch from the downpipe back, i'd probably get some serious boost spike
you're probably right my exhaust is most likely too restrictive.
You are not getting me......

Boost creeps are usually resolved by fitting a more efficient exhaust system from the turbocharger back, and it's not an issue with the cold weather. Boost creep happens when your turbine can't slow down even after the wastegate is opened, or if you have a slow acting wastegate solenoid or if your wastegate is "sticking".

I don't see how you could overboost in cold temperature? If your solenoid is in good working condition, it will read the proper vacume\pressure voltage and actuate the wastegate like its suppose to. I would be more affraid of the cold weather making the intake charge too dense to a point where the programming can no longer compensate for the extra air packed into the system and that could you to lean out.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
TRICKY912 said:
yea, i tuned at pruven, i put down 266 and 200 with the cat and 2 1/4 exhaust. at 7-8 psi
nice #'s......what did they charge you? when i get my boost problem fixed im goin go down for a good tune...i need it man

1 - 16 of 16 Posts