Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed both o2 sensors about a month ago with OEM products. Then it was throwing another code “Vtec Malfunction.” I changed the Vtec Solenoid and Oil Pressure Switch and reset the ECU and everything was dandy. The day after that, the CEL came on and it cut off. I reset the ECU and it was fine for about 3 weeks. Yesterday, on the way home, I was slowing down for a stoplight and I looked down and the CEL was on and it was idling low and trying to cut off on me. So I gave it gas, and went on. It was hesitating a bit but I made it the rest of the 5 miles to my house. As I pull in the road that I live on, it died on me, I lost ALL power of EVERYTHING. I cranked it back up, pulled in my drive way and reset the ecu. That didn’t work. So I let it sit for an hr and tried it again. When I started it up, the car made a weird “grinding” noise and it went away. It happened for about 3 seconds. I gave it gas and it was running really rich and nasty. It was hesitant and finally it cut off. It idles really rough. I’m waiting on an OBD2 scanner from a friend but what are your thoughts???

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is also a thing in the FSM about relearning the idle timings after the computer gets reset. You might want to try that too.

·
Zack Killa
4,535 Posts
umm TPS sensor? IAC sensor? vacuum leak? could be lots of things

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just replaced the vtec solenoid less than a month ago with a brand new one. I will re install it tonight when I get home. Thanks!

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
I just replaced the vtec solenoid less than a month ago with a brand new one. I will re install it tonight when I get home. Thanks!
The VTEC solenoid and the VTC solenoid are two separate and distinct circuits, not related. Check the manual for cleaning the VTC strainer and replacing the VTC solenoid valve.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
There is also a thing in the FSM about relearning the idle timings after the computer gets reset. You might want to try that too.
The idle relearn procedure on these car is simple. Start the car and let it run. After it reaches normal operating temperature, let it idle for 5 mins. If the fans come on during the 5 mins, add that time into the 5 mins.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.