Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
San Diego OG RSX
968 Posts
Keith DC5 said:
It's alright, my auto has more torque than you have WHP, thus I have the bigger dick (j/j) :D Seriously though, someone must have a code reader right?
Its all about the motion of the ocean (my linear powerband vs your peaky power). jk jk

Cant you just jumper those two terminals at the OBDII harness to get your code? Or do you really need an OBDII scanner for something that im not aware of at the moment?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use a pocketlogger from digitaltuning.com for my talon. I know it'll connect with the '05 Type-S because I tried it on my brothers car. I don't know if it'll read all of the codes from the ECU but of course since my car is older, it works fine.

·
997 C4S
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
toxicvtec said:
Its all about the motion of the ocean (my linear powerband vs your peaky power). jk jk

Cant you just jumper those two terminals at the OBDII harness to get your code? Or do you really need an OBDII scanner for something that im not aware of at the moment?
I'm having a bunch of issues with my PCM right now so I'm looking for a OBDII scanner to help me troubleshoot on the fly.

Example: I'll drive until the CEL comes on, then I could just stop somewhere, pull up the code, then delete it. From there I can determine what's forcing my car into limp mode and remove this stupid gremlin from my ECU system. That whole paperclip and counting the LED flashes is a bit time consuming and impractical :(

EDIT: I just need a cheap one like this really...

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Keith DC5 said:
For those with OBD-II code readers/scanners, what brand/model did you guys go with? I know there's a plethora of these devices and not all can read Honda/Acura's enchanced codes so yeah... just wondering.
As long as you have a list of the enhanced codes, any standard OBD-II reader with the proper connector for your car will do. I think that el-cheapo eBay device is just fine.

·
997 C4S
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
conradb212 said:
As long as you have a list of the enhanced codes, any standard OBD-II reader with the proper connector for your car will do. I think that el-cheapo eBay device is just fine.
Yeah I just need it to show the code #'s and delete it when I'm done. I have the listing of all the DTCs but I'm not sure if this eBay one will show enhanced codes. The product description says it displays 700 possible error codes but that's no good considering Actron shows 4-5000 and some of Honda's enhanced codes aren't in the scanner. I was looking at Actron, Autoxray, Equus, and they all cost about $100+ so I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
the cheapie one will work as long as it displays 4-digit codes, then you can look them up... the fancier ones claim more codes because they can display a description in addition to the 4 digits, and there are a lot of mfr-specific codes in addition to the standard OBDII ones

·
997 C4S
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got that cheap $27 eBay scanner today, and it was actually VERY good. It's obviously not as versatile as other units (it has no buttons) but it shows you the # of codes, displays each 1 four times, and after the fourth time, it automatically clears the codes. If you want to keep the codes, just unplug the scanner before the 4th pass. Anyway, I pulled up 3 codes:

2646 no idea what this is
0134 O2 sensor stuck lean
0172 System too rich

·
997 C4S
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes it will only read OBD II ECUs. There's a new standard coming out called OBDII C.A.N. but that's not going to be fully integrated until 2008. You'll need a new scanner for those vehicles unless you buy a C.A.N.-ready scanner.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Keith DC5 said:
It's alright, my auto has more torque than you have WHP, thus I have the bigger dick (j/j) :D Seriously though, someone must have a code reader right?

i saw a base auto with greddy turbo and i think 9 psi run 14.7xx at the 1/4th when i had my base 5 speed with i/h/e and flash that was running 14.663.. i felt bad :laughing:

i have access to one.. i forget teh brand. but its like orange lol. worked fine on my girls RSX. she threw a CEL and we plugged it in and it told us.. SYSTEM TOO LEAN. i thikn her primary 02 is Going. cuz no way her system is lean bcause of an SRI, 05 Type S header and cat with 05 type s cat back. and no flash or any other ECU tuning

Nick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.