Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've now had time to play with rev. 1.08. Here are some observations and issues:

1) Under Options/Sensors I get a "List index out of bounds (40)" error. My guess is that's because the sensors list now has 41 positions (the last one below "Frames" is empty).

2) Under Options/Graph Template, when I create a new template it now seems to give me four graphs even if I only define one. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I tried under 1.07, and there I get one graph when I define just one. For readability, it is preferable to be able to define just one or two graphs per template.

3) In the "Tuning Ignition Tables" help, sections 2 and 3 stop in mid-sentence. I know you're still completing help, but those happen to be interesting topics.

4) It seems that while in 1.07 the "k20a2-stock" calibration was an improved version of "Hondata 4," "k20a2-stock" under 1.08 is the (near-)factory calibration. The 1.07 version of "k20a2-stock" seems to have no equivalent in 1.08. My suggestion for future revs would be to call the true stock calibration "k20a2-factory" and the "Hondata 4" successors for NA engines "k20a-dynotuned".

I also have a number of enhancement suggestions:

Minor issues:

1) Improved Zoom feature for graphs
2) Ability to user-edit description of saved calibrations
3) Some way to more easily record changes made to calibrations. It's very easy to lose track of changes made.
4) As is, a datalog recorded by one calibration can then be seen playing back on the tables of another calibration. There should be an indicator that the log and the calibration are the same or not the same, else a user might inadvertantly make changes to an improper calibration.

More major issues:

1) Ability to download a calibration from the ECU to the K-Pro Manager
2) Addition of some of the s200 ROM Editor AF recording functionality, specifically the ability to fill actual values in the table while on the dyno or driving for subsequent fuel modification.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ditto issues 1 and 2. Is it possible to have a read option in the software, where you can connect your laptop and read the flash you are running and save? I have this on my Traction control software and its very handy, when you are trying different things sometimes you can get lost and not remember which file is loaded.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

that would be a very nice feature to incorperate

·
Registered
142 Posts
conradb212 said:
I've now had time to play with rev. 1.08. Here are some observations and issues:

1) Under Options/Sensors I get a "List index out of bounds (40)" error. My guess is that's because the sensors list now has 41 positions (the last one below "Frames" is empty).

2) Under Options/Graph Template, when I create a new template it now seems to give me four graphs even if I only define one. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I tried under 1.07, and there I get one graph when I define just one. For readability, it is preferable to be able to define just one or two graphs per template.

3) In the "Tuning Ignition Tables" help, sections 2 and 3 stop in mid-sentence. I know you're still completing help, but those happen to be interesting topics.

4) It seems that while in 1.07 the "k20a2-stock" calibration was an improved version of "Hondata 4," "k20a2-stock" under 1.08 is the (near-)factory calibration. The 1.07 version of "k20a2-stock" seems to have no equivalent in 1.08. My suggestion for future revs would be to call the true stock calibration "k20a2-factory" and the "Hondata 4" successors for NA engines "k20a-dynotuned".

I also have a number of enhancement suggestions:

Minor issues:

1) Improved Zoom feature for graphs
2) Ability to user-edit description of saved calibrations
3) Some way to more easily record changes made to calibrations. It's very easy to lose track of changes made.
4) As is, a datalog recorded by one calibration can then be seen playing back on the tables of another calibration. There should be an indicator that the log and the calibration are the same or not the same, else a user might inadvertantly make changes to an improper calibration.

More major issues:

2) Addition of some of the s200 ROM Editor AF recording functionality, specifically the ability to fill actual values in the table while on the dyno or driving for subsequent fuel modification.
i also dont like the fact that the graph window has to have all four open at once. with just one window there is so much more detail. but everything is great!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Vendor
935 Posts
KManager

Thanks for the feedback. The next release will be Thursday or Friday this week. Changes are:

1. "List index out of bounds (40)" - fixed.

2. Four graph templates - caused from above error. If the error persists then you need to go into Define Templates, select the template, then click on close.

3. Tuning ignition table help - fixed.

4. The old 'stock' calibration became the 'tuned' calibration. I've changed the description of the new 'stock' calibration to 'factory', but can't rename 'tuned' back to 'stock' because of the way the install process works.

5. Added download calibration. I also had to add the ability to copy protect a calibration.

6. Added a description for the calibration.

Any feeback on how 'disable fuel over-run cutoff' works? What was happening is that the ECU keeps the injectors running for about half a second under over-run conditions. This is for emissions. While shifting this means that the engine runs rich, so the ECU then goes and leans out the fuel 20-30% via the short term trim. When you get back on the gas the engine runs very lean for a short period of time, then goes back to 0% short term trim. The result is a slight hicup shifting. It gets worse with bigger injectors.

-Derek

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hondata said:
Thanks for the feedback. The next release will be Thursday or Friday this week. Changes are:

1. "List index out of bounds (40)" - fixed.

2. Four graph templates - caused from above error. If the error persists then you need to go into Define Templates, select the template, then click on close.

3. Tuning ignition table help - fixed.

4. The old 'stock' calibration became the 'tuned' calibration. I've changed the description of the new 'stock' calibration to 'factory', but can't rename 'tuned' back to 'stock' because of the way the install process works.

5. Added download calibration. I also had to add the ability to copy protect a calibration.

6. Added a description for the calibration.

Any feeback on how 'disable fuel over-run cutoff' works? What was happening is that the ECU keeps the injectors running for about half a second under over-run conditions. This is for emissions. While shifting this means that the engine runs rich, so the ECU then goes and leans out the fuel 20-30% via the short term trim. When you get back on the gas the engine runs very lean for a short period of time, then goes back to 0% short term trim. The result is a slight hicup shifting. It gets worse with bigger injectors.

-Derek
THE FUEL OVER RUN DISABLE MADE THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE. NO MORE HESITATION BETWEEN SHIFTS AT ALL . THIS ALL STARTED AFTER THE BIGGER INJECTORS. THIS ADD ON WAS EXTREMELY APPRECIATED

THANKS - RAFAEL

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hondata said:
-Derek
Derek, thanks for the fixes and announcements. I didn't know about the fuel over-run, but now that you explain it, analysis of my datalogs shows that very lean running right after the shift. In my case, I didn't really notice a hiccup, but I often get knocks there, especially at high speed under high load. I activated the 'disable fuel over-run cutoff' and will analyze the datalogs to see if it makes a differences.

Any word on the knock-triggered ignition retardation (or lack of it)? Is that an issue yet to be addressed by the K-Pro?

·
Vendor
935 Posts
Changes

conradb212 said:
Any word on the knock-triggered ignition retardation (or lack of it)? Is that an issue yet to be addressed by the K-Pro?
The programmable ECU behaves in the same way as the stock ECU.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hondata said:
The programmable ECU behaves in the same way as the stock ECU.
Perhaps you can clear this one up once and for all. My impression from the K-Pro seminar was that the Honda ECU will retard the ignition by 12 degrees upon registering a knock, then dial it back in by one degree every second until it hears a knock again.

I brought this topic up before and I think you said the knock/ignition retard algorithm Honda uses was complex and inconsistent.

In any case, I have never once seen an Knock-induced ignition retardation in my datalogs even though I am still working on a knock problem and closely analyze all of my knock events. Each time, ignition seems entirely unaffected by the knock signal, and there certainly isn't a 12 degree retardation. Can you shed light on this?

·
Vendor
935 Posts
conradb212}and there certainly isn't a 12 degree retardation. Can you shed light on this?[/QUOTE said:
The 12 degree retard on serious knock I referred to in the seminar was for the stock OBD I ecu, not the K series ECU.

Doug

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hondata said:
conradb212 said:
and there certainly isn't a 12 degree retardation. Can you shed light on this?
The 12 degree retard on serious knock I referred to in the seminar was for the stock OBD I ecu, not the K series ECU.

Doug
I see. So K.Retard never comes into play in the K-Pro?

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spunkster said:
Doug never said that.
It was a question. I'm just trying to figure out what Knock Retard does. I have never seen it be anything but zero in all of my datalogs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
conradb212 said:
It was a question. I'm just trying to figure out what Knock Retard does. I have never seen it be anything but zero in all of my datalogs.
I did also notice that last night . nothing happen . but i did notice that at those points of knock the ign wasnt where it was suppose to be, on the table it showwed 31.5' and on the log it was at 27' .the second knock count occured when it jumped to 31 from 27 , but the knock level never reached the knock threshhold on the second one but the first did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.