Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NA member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I recently got a OBX LSD off of ebay based off of testimonials in reliability. I won't mention names because i don't want to go back and research.

There was a thread about the deburring process, etc. well, i have a couple concerns, which you will have to take a look at the pictures to understand. there are "holes" in the actual casing in which I do not know if you can "deburr" it.

My question is, will these holes damage my transmission in the future? Do I need to fill the holes up? and what do I fill it up with...

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to your responses :)

please do not make posts bashing the obx lsd. there are members who are pushing 400 whp and over 20,000 miles. I am STOCK everything....but not for long ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
No that is not used, it is just a TERRIBLE casting, but what would you expect from OBX?

Those are casting pores and they are likely throughout the casting. Holes of that size in castings are an indication of very poor quality and low strength. :noes:

·
NA member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed pretty scary =/

I just don't know how you can explain how other people do not have problems while having MUCH higher whp.

Is the case casting that important? Sure, it holds all the gears together inside but is there enough stress that would split the casing apart during DD?

i hope i'm not going to regret this purchase (obx is pretty cheap >.<)

·
Retired OG
147,491,194 Posts
my LSD didnt have any casting issues like yours does...potentially i dont see an issue but you never know...lol

Reactions: AznTrikstA

·
Registered
579 Posts
Well, for starters, my deburring / bulletproofing thread is at:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=464477

Now, as far as your LSD - WOW!, that must have puked out of the factory on a Friday when everyone was just wanting to go home...or on a Monday when no one gave a shit!

My personal take - yes it looks pretty bad on the surface and definitely scars the cosmetic appeal of a nice new part. Is it likely to cause failure? Probably not. I just don't think the housing of the LSD is that highly stressed. When you step back and consider at the amount of metal taking the full power of the engine in more critical locations...say the few gear teeth that engage the final drive ring gear at any one time, or the tiny little splines that engage the axle ends...then compare that to the huge freaking hulk of metal that makes up the LSD housing, it must be overbuilt by a factor of 100. Most of the porosity in your LSD seems to be located around the land for the speedometer ring gear which has to turn a tiny plastic gear on an electronic sensor.

As far as the deburring and washer replacement, I would definitely go for that. That will help keep your tranny clean and happy. Every little bit helps!

Reactions: AznTrikstA

·
NA member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh and btw guys, obx doesn't make em, some company in asia does and they stamp obx or whatever company wanna claim it's their's on it before shipping it out.
that much I expected. Most things are made overseas anyways =/ great for cheap labor, but bad thing is loss of jobs here...

I appreciate all your input. I did more research and referencing to honda-tech. They've had much more experience with OBX LSDs than most of us here at CRSX.

The consensus over there is that OBX makes a lower quality product (compared to quaife) but still works for some. Others have had problems due to not installing the product properly and replacing the bearings and other parts you are supposed to replace EVERYTIME you rip your transmission apart.

I also read there were two versions that were produced. Any chance you guys heard the same? Methinks i got an old crappy first version that just happened to be in storage for a long time :noes:

G

·
My machinery company is Italian and while the Chinese are really quick to copy anything we design, quality control within batches has bee the real issuse. The Chinese CAN produce decent casting and do a decent machining job, but consistency is a whole different story. That casting, for example, would have never made it to the CNC mill in our factories. If you're OK with the OBX-thing, I might return it, email the vendor these photos, and ask for a replacement which has been visually inspected prior to shipping. Best of luck.

·
NA member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a friend who is doing his bachelors for mechanical engineering here at UT and he just asked me if he could borrow the LSD for a couple weeks.

Apparently, in some class (which I will find out) they are on a subject regarding gears and whatnot. He said they're going to do some element analysis or some shit. basically, he said he'll be able to tell me how much hp the LSD can handle.

if he can tell me that, and that the flaws in the casing do not matter, then everything is all fine and dandy after the deburing process.

I'll keep you all posted! but that does not mean the discussion ends here... ;)

·
FS: K20A2 Head (C Sig)
2,096 Posts
I'd get a new one anyways. Send it back, what if he calculates it can only hold 150whp, then what? You're screwed cuz it's been too long to analyze it. Take pictures and measurements for him for his analysis. Unless he's going to actually test it to failure then you're screwed anyhow, unless hepays for it. More than likely they'll do testing in cosmos or similar but he'll have it forever.

Matt

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
LOL, don't even bother with giving it to your engineering buddy for two reasons. First, the porous material is going to be impossible for him to model using finite element analysis because he will not be able to know what is inside the casting itself. Second, he must not be too far into Engineering to be telling you he can rate the hp capability of the diff as horsepower means shit all. What really matters is the torque rating.

G

·
1.) I am in the machinery business.
2.) My company is the largest of its type in the world.
3.) We own our own foundries and state-of-the-art CNC equipment.
4.) I make my living by selling machinery.
5.) if a customer claimed some issue with one of our products, then wanted to send it off for independent analysis by somebody other than us, there is no way in a million years they would get any compensation.
6.) If you send it to your buddy, you bought it for good.

Oh, did I mention. THAT CASTING IS SHIT. The choice is yours, of course. Good luck.

·
NA member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright, thanks guys for correcting me, putting in your input and expertise =)

i've been in communication with the distributor since i made the first post. He agreed to exchange the product and was really understanding. he's a former rsx owner as well.

hopefully i'll get another one without problems =/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts