Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
yeah,

do you have any before and after numbers? I mean you could really crunch some numbers and figure out how much you are saving if any. But I would assume if there is any savings it would be negated by shoeleather costs...

·
vashuba311
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have have not recoreded any numbers yet.

what i do is i only put like $10 worth in. of premeium so like 4 gallons maybe. and they a whole bottle of the gas treament or octane booster. cuz on the bottle of that it treats up to 20 gallons. so its like double saturated the half a tank i have. plus its lighter weight in the car cuz its only half a tank. i am still in the process. it also depends on my driving stlye, if i downshifting alot or clutch in and break.

·
vtaaaakk VTAK VTAK VTAK
810 Posts
Not that anyone seems to care, but off-the-shelf octane booster (MTBE) is most likely the stuff they're phasing out in regular gas in favor of other oxygenating additives (ethanol in CA).

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
well if acetone in the gas tank gives better milage, why not octane booster??? im not chemist but apparently the facts speak for them selves... so get ur info straight b4 guiding this guy the wrong way

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=475138
just incase u guys didnt see... PLUS CRSX backed up the acetone claim too
Yeah, octane booster will help out with gas mileage, but financially you won't be saving any money since you'd be spending the saved money on octane booster.

·
Street Chemist
5,632 Posts
well if acetone in the gas tank gives better milage, why not octane booster??? im not chemist but apparently the facts speak for them selves... so get ur info straight b4 guiding this guy the wrong way

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=475138
just incase u guys didnt see... PLUS CRSX backed up the acetone claim too
You're also forgetting. The mileage he's getting from the acetone is also from him turning off his car every time that he's going to sit longer then 30 seconds. You could also save more gas by putting your car in neutral when you're going down hills. I think his "added" mph came mostly from the things he was doing more then the acetone. If you put it in your car and drove like a normal human being I'm sure you'd probably only get a few extra miles per tank. If you're really lucky maybe 1 mpg extra. Those are just my thoughts though.

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
dude the stuff cost liek a $1 for the gas treament and $2 for the booster. compared to $3 for a gallon of gas
so look at the brightside...you are only throwing away $3 everytime you use them

Your car is tuned for 91 octane, so you will not see benefits from a higher octane. Premium is normally 20 cents more per gallon then regular unleaded. So on a 10 gallon fillup it is a $2 difference. And you are spending $3 per fillup to try and get the same results. That is just silly. If it were really effective then everyone would be using it.

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/fuelalrt.pdf

At the Pump: Use the Octane Level You Need
• Your owner’s manual recommends the most effective octane level for your car. For most cars,
the recommended gasoline is regular octane. In most cases, using a higher octane gas than the
manufacturer recommends offers no benefit. Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher
octane gasoline is a waste of money.
In Advertising: Check Out Claims About “Gas-Saving” Gadgets
• Be skeptical of claims for devices that will “boost your mileage by an extra 6 miles per
gallon,” “improve your fuel economy up to 26 percent,” or the like. EPA has tested over 100
supposed gas-saving devices — including mixture “enhancers” and fuel line magnets — and
found that very few provide any fuel economy benefits. The devices that work provide only
marginal improvements. Some “gas-saving” devices may damage a car’s engine or increase
exhaust emissions. For more information and a full list of tested products, check
www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer.htm.

·
Breast inspector by appt.
9,245 Posts
That guy in the video obviously did everthing possible to reduce his gas mileage to shit, then claimed double mileage by changing back all that stuff. BS. If I have low tire pressure, clogged air filter, poorly tuned car, extra weight in the trunk, let my car idle all day, I can get 17 mpg too.

·
Registered
113,845 Posts
futhermore

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_octane_boosters_tested/

The drawback to any of these additive ingredients is the diminishing effect they have on higher-octane fuels. Adding the same booster to 87-octane pump gas will yield a lot more octane gain than adding a bottle to 91-octane premium gas. Excessive concentrations of these additives also damage emissions-control hardware, such as spark plugs, injectors, oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. This is why most off-the-shelf boosters have an emissions-legal street formulation and an off-road formulation that exceeds the government-regulated concentration of MMT or ferosene. For the power-hungry, there really is no point in testing 87-octane gas and street-legal octane boosters. That's why we performed our tests with a base sample of 91-octane premium gasoline taken from a local SoCal station. By law this gasoline must have an octane rating of at least 91 octane. Octane boosters were obtained at local auto parts stores while 99%-pure gasoline-grade toluene was sourced from the laboratory of Rockett Brand Racing Fuel.
Toluene-laden fuels burn slower and make less power on high-revving engines. So much in fact that much of the air/fuel mixture is still burning as the charge exits through the exhaust valve. This is a sure way to destroy your emissions-control equipment and not pass smog. For these reasons, true race fuels don't just use toluene or other active ingredients to boost the octane. Instead they use better-refined hydrocarbon chains that raise octane while retaining optimal combustion characteristics.
and you have to understand these tests were done on a carbureted engine...not a fuel injected model. Which makes a ton of difference since fuel injection is controlled by the ECU.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.