Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RED DRAGONS!!!
8,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing a set of "JDM style" headlamps but I would like to have an extra set to work on during the winter because I can't get to my car under all the snow and I would like to have the stock ones to put back in if I get rid of the car.

Now as far as doing the DIY versions VS. buying the real JDM ones, I do 95% of my driving in the dark, so the Japanese beam pattern is what I am not too thrilled about. I need to see where I am going and not get pulled over for having out of adjustment headlamps and not get flashed by every other car on the road.

I also did a little searching and I found a ton of different styles of D.I.Y. headlamps, color matched, flat black, gloss black, satin black and fake "angel eye" style. I also found a thread that shows the JDM versions next to a pair of D.I.Y. ones and it shows the color difference, the JDM's have a light bronze hue to them and are very glossy.

So my question is: Has anyone purchased a new set of housings before and how much were they?

And has anyone taken apart their headlamps and sprayed the piece that usually gets sprayed black with a transparent black to give it a "black chrome" look? You can get the transparent black at most hobby stores, Testors makes it, in a small can. With the transparent black the more coats you put on the darker it will get so possibly this will give it a more realistic JDM look?

Any thoughts, suggestions? What about color matching the projector/angel eye housings to my body color, Satin Silver Metallic?

·
Honda Sucks! Acura Rules!
366 Posts
I have real JDM lights in my car. I didn't like the beam patten so I ripped them apart and mated the front JDM housing with a back USDM housing. Now I have JDM lights with a USDM beam patten.

I made this thread showing the difference between the two housing. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117616

·
RED DRAGONS!!!
8,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a good idea Moto, I priced a set of brand new RSX housings they were $260 each housing! But, I imagine someone has them for less somewhere else.

I still want to try the transparent black on the housings to see if it gives it a gunmetal/black chrome look. If it does'nt look good I can always sand and repaint it with a gloss black.

I think I am going to get the extra set of housings anyway just to screw around with. If later on I install an HID kit will this cause any excess heat or problems with the headlamps?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.