Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the weights of an OEM RSX hood vs an OEM style seibon CF hood?

Tried to search for it but couldn't find anything..

·
SuwoopinK20Z
1,830 Posts
I dont know the weight difference, but my cf hood is waaaayyy lighter than my oem hood

·
GO TWINS !
2,038 Posts
i disagree
You disagree they are wet hand laid or that you only lose a few lbs.?

considering I've done work for Seibon and an automotive engineer more specifically in composites and aerodynamics, I think I have a better understanding. But feel free to prove me wrong.:thumbsup:

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
Seibon hoods are wt hand laid carbon, your looking at a 2-3lbs loss at MOST.
Don't post unless you know what your talking about. It's obvious that u don't.

It's an easy 20+ pounds.

It's not the weight savings that should concern u but the reinforcement of the hood latch on the CF hood or the need for hood pins.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
You disagree they are wet hand laid or that you only lose a few lbs.?

considering I've done work for Seibon and an automotive engineer more specifically in composites and aerodynamics, I think I have a better understanding. But feel free to prove me wrong.:thumbsup:
Pick up the OEM hood and then a CF one for our cars......some engineer you are......

·
GO TWINS !
2,038 Posts
Pick up the OEM hood and then a CF one for our cars......some engineer you are......
I've had a Seibon hood, Top Secret hood, Fiber Images and have lifted all of them. I actually have reasoning behind my argument. You have just lifted a hood.

Hand laid carbon fiber= Fiberglass hood with single layer of carbon fiber epoxied ontop. Unable to remove excess resin, which is the main reason their parts are so heavy. This is by far the HEAVIEST way to make carbon fiber.

Vacuum Bagged Carbon Fiber= Fierglass under skeleton with top made in carbon fiber. They are then infused outside of the mold. You use atmospheric pressure to squeeze excess resin out causing a much lighter part.

Dry or "prepreg" carbon= Pre-preg carbon is carbon fiber fabric that already has resin in it. It is pre pregnated with resin. This stuff is very expensive and has to be kept in refrigeration. It becomes solid and cures with room temperature.

It is very difficult and I would even say impossible for handlaid carbon fiber parts, where the fabric is laid down and the resin is poured over the fabric, to have the same fabric to resin ratio as a pre-preg/vacuum bagged part. Hence, handlaid parts will be heavier and more brittle.

In the world of composites, its all about fabric to resin ratio.

feel free to check out my company www.mastergrademotorsport.com if you don't think I know composites.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
Your comparing carbon fiber techniques to one another. The argument is about cf to aluminum. There is no way there is only a 2-3 pound difference between the aftermarket cf hoods for our cars and the OEM hood.

·
GO TWINS !
2,038 Posts
.... rofl... allready a senior member w/ 500 posts
Yep, I have another account. Thanks.

Your comparing carbon fiber techniques to one another. The argument is about cf to aluminum. There is no way there is only a 2-3 pound difference between the aftermarket cf hoods for our cars and the OEM hood.
Aluminum, exactly. 50lbs for an aluminum hood? You guys need to work out more if you think those hoods are 50lbs.

You guys are right, those Seibon hoods are shaving 20+ lbs and knocking 1.3 seconds off your 1/4 time. I have all Seibon parts (hood, hatch, lip kit, even their limited edition wheels) and I know how heavy they are.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
I never said the oem hood is 50 pounds. Don't assume one post is agreed upon by all of us.

·
GO TWINS !
2,038 Posts
I'm not knocking thier parts. Hell our car was their feature car at SEMA last year. I'm just being realistic with my personal experience and knowledge in composites and specficially working with Seibon.

I'm probably the most Seibon'd car on the site.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
20+ is an estimate which is more realistic then your 2-3 pounds difference.

And lol at posting your car like it has some sort of relevance in this thread.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,087 Posts
lmfao....I think that was a new record.....nice talking to you

1 - 20 of 113 Posts