Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1585 Posts

·
canonberry crew holla
22,632 Posts
cable. I have a 32" samsung LCD i got like 3 years ago. It picked up some movie channels and ESPN HD once for like a couple days when I first got it but since then nothing. Could it be that I have a splitter on the line in my room?
thats exactly it.. you can't get HD if it's split and you're just running a wire to the tv in your room

·
pǝuuɐq
3,271 Posts
thats exactly it.. you can't get HD if it's split and you're just running a wire to the tv in your room
I still could not pick up HD even before the splitter, but I will give it a try when I get home this afternoon. Also, where can I look online to find what channels are HD in my area? I hate having to scan and look through all those channels.

·
///elitist prick
48,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,524
cable. I have a 32" samsung LCD i got like 3 years ago. It picked up some movie channels and ESPN HD once for like a couple days when I first got it but since then nothing. Could it be that I have a splitter on the line in my room?
i dunno who your cable provider is but as far as i know they all require a cable box now, without that you wont get shit since they switched from analog to digital broadcasting. you cant just plug a cable into the back of the tv anymore.

you can prob pick up free ota hd from all the local networks if you have a qam tuner, but you wont get espn that way.

·
Regulator
23,483 Posts
I was looking to spend ~$1000 but what would the difference be between an LED with the same specs. I have been told from LED owners that picture quality between an LED and an LCD are not that much far apart unless you are watching in HD, which I don't have.
Not sure what TV you bought, but if its around $1000 for a LED, then thats just LCD with edge-lit LED's. I would return it and get a Panasonic Plasma. I saw a 50" 1080p Panny plasma at Best Buy yesterday for $800. IMO, plasma has the best picture out of LCD's and LED's.

·
pǝuuɐq
3,271 Posts
i dunno who your cable provider is but as far as i know they all require a cable box now, without that you wont get shit since they switched from analog to digital broadcasting. you cant just plug a cable into the back of the tv anymore.

you can prob pick up free ota hd from all the local networks if you have a qam tuner, but you wont get espn that way.
Time warner

I pay for basic but I get more for my moneys ;)

I'll check the living room TV later and see if it's still getting HD. If it is I'm assuming I should be able to too if the splitter does not prevent it.

·
pǝuuɐq
3,271 Posts
you need an hd cable box for each tv, you cant just use a splitter.
I have a cable line in my room. The splitter is splitting the cable between the TV in my room and the cable modem in my room. Not between TV in my room and the TV in the living room.

·
///elitist prick
48,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,533
i dont care if you're splitting it between the tv and the shitter... you still need a cable box.

·
Regulator
23,483 Posts
HD cable box is like 6 bucks a month, you cant pay 2 cents a day?

·
///elitist prick
48,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,539
you can get some channels over the air if you have a qam tuner built-in... nbc, cbs, abc, fox, wb, pbs. but you wont get espn or tnt or any other cable channels.

·
Regulator
23,483 Posts
Not when I know others that don't have one and still pick up a few HD channels.
You get like 10 HD channels? I get like 50.

1521 - 1540 of 1585 Posts