Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1585 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
My three year-old 50" Vizio plasma 720p is currently out of commission (being covered under warranty). Turns out the panel is bad, so the repair company put one on order. They said that generally the warranty company will opt to NOT repair the TV as the panel is too costly. They will then provide me with some options.

Anyone have any experience with sort of thing? Are the options generally favorable, or severely screwed up? Are 720p TVs even being produced anymore? Any heads up on this would be cool.

·
LBJ goat
84,342 Posts
my samsung will be 3 years old next month and it takes like 30 seconds to turn on now. it makes a clicking sound like 4 times then will come on. of course out of warranty, and looks like its a $2-300 part + whatever labor. might just get a new tv, no 3d

·
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
14,294 Posts
My three year-old 50" Vizio plasma 720p is currently out of commission (being covered under warranty). Turns out the panel is bad, so the repair company put one on order. They said that generally the warranty company will opt to NOT repair the TV as the panel is too costly. They will then provide me with some options.

Anyone have any experience with sort of thing? Are the options generally favorable, or severely screwed up? Are 720p TVs even being produced anymore? Any heads up on this would be cool.
you'll be able to get an equal or greater 50" plasma most likely. so you'll get bumped to 1080p more than likely plus get a new model

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
lol vizio
Yeah, because something like a Samsung would never have an issue (two posts up). I do believe Vizio is second only to Samsung in sales. Sure, the TVs are cheaper, but the quality of my 720p plasma was great for what it was.

you'll be able to get an equal or greater 50" plasma most likely. so you'll get bumped to 1080p more than likely plus get a new model
Do you know if they stick strictly with the same brand for the replacement, or just any comparably priced set with the same specs? I would guess that it would be the same brand (fine with that), as other brands are certainly higher than Vizio, especially in the 50" class.

·
Knockin' Bitches Over
79,532 Posts
the panasonic plasma i had, but gave to my brother in law, is still going strong! its going on 4 years, i think. my new plasma had the factory defect, the power supply would be shot, but they came out and fixed it. and said with stuff like this, i dont need the warranty since panny takes care of their customers lol.

we shall see, but yeah, when i get a new house, doing the sony 3d 240hz tv!!

·
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
14,294 Posts
Yeah, because something like a Samsung would never have an issue (two posts up). I do believe Vizio is second only to Samsung in sales. Sure, the TVs are cheaper, but the quality of my 720p plasma was great for what it was.

Do you know if they stick strictly with the same brand for the replacement, or just any comparably priced set with the same specs? I would guess that it would be the same brand (fine with that), as other brands are certainly higher than Vizio, especially in the 50" class.
wait, who's warranty are you going through? vizio or the store's? if through the store they should do any brand of equal or great value. i always argue specs, so if it had a XX:1 contrast ratio you say you want something with that or higher, or same with HDMI inputs or whatever. same goes for within the same brand.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
wait, who's warranty are you going through? vizio or the store's? if through the store they should do any brand of equal or great value. i always argue specs, so if it had a XX:1 contrast ratio you say you want something with that or higher, or same with HDMI inputs or whatever. same goes for within the same brand.
Not sure what the name of the warranty company is, but it's whoever Wal-Mart was using 3 years ago. This is NOT going through Vizio, as it's being covered under the extended warranty I purchased through W-M when I purchased the TV.

·
MEGATRON!
13,059 Posts
the panasonic plasma i had, but gave to my brother in law, is still going strong! its going on 4 years, i think. my new plasma had the factory defect, the power supply would be shot, but they came out and fixed it. and said with stuff like this, i dont need the warranty since panny takes care of their customers lol.

panasonic plasma > *

never had an issue with any panasonic product i've owned.
:thumbsup: getting a new panasonic g25 series plasma soon

·
☚ gtfo
8,189 Posts

if you have a friend working @ best buy, sears, fry's, etc you can get huge discounts on sony products
http://resources.creativechannel.com/151223/L2E/Learn_to_Earn_program_10-20-2010.pdf

·
MEGATRON!
13,059 Posts
damn the g25 series seems like an awesome buy but it seems like TV's are starting to make leaps and bounds now in features, apps, and internet connectivity. Feel like whatever i'll buy will be obsolete soon.

:sigh: such is technology lol

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Can anyone recommend me some TV's in the 32" - 40" category that would be under $600? To be honest, quality isn't that big of a deal to me because I am by no means a videophile or what-have-you, but I would like something a step higher than an Insignia. Maybe Samsung, Panasonic, or Vizio?I have a Samsung 32" (32LNA450 I believe) and it has treated me well. But I would like a 2nd TV (one for the bedroom, one for the living room, better one in living room obviously). It looks like I could get a 37" Samsung for around 500-600. I would probably just stay with LCD since it seems cheaper. Any opinion is appreciated; thanks.

I haven't even looked at TV's in like 2 years, so I truly am out of the loop. I've been shopping around and have quickly realized I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Thanks again.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
17,436 Posts
Can anyone recommend me some TV's in the 32" - 40" category that would be under $600? To be honest, quality isn't that big of a deal to me because I am by no means a videophile or what-have-you, but I would like something a step higher than an Insignia. Maybe Samsung, Panasonic, or Vizio?I have a Samsung 32" (32LNA450 I believe) and it has treated me well. But I would like a 2nd TV (one for the bedroom, one for the living room, better one in living room obviously). It looks like I could get a 37" Samsung for around 500-600. I would probably just stay with LCD since it seems cheaper. Any opinion is appreciated; thanks.

I haven't even looked at TV's in like 2 years, so I truly am out of the loop. I've been shopping around and have quickly realized I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Thanks again.
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=Froogle&sku=PANTCL37X2

·
Registered
24,670 Posts

·
Master Member
5,066 Posts
last i knew plasma didn't come in hz because it's a constantly shifting image there's no "frame rate" i could be wrong here but... yea. also i'd be iffy about any plasma that does not have anti burn technology so i'd suggest looking into if it's got anything on it or not. (ie samsung and panasonic do a pixel shift thing, pioneer has a little black line that goes through the image 1 pixel wide).

1541 - 1560 of 1585 Posts