Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1141 Posts

·
11,750rpm+8,600rpm= FUN
1,056 Posts
arum said the numbers were a failure/disappointment... i dunno if we will see another 1 million plus ppv in the future. say floyd and manny stick to retirement, the closest you got is the canelo/ggg fight. i can see the canelo/khan fight doing 600k-700k maybe a bit more ppl are changing their tune and actually giving khan a better chance given all his recent muscle bulking pics. i dunno man, if all his speed carries up to that weight then im starting to think the fuckin annoying prick wins a decision.

·
11,750rpm+8,600rpm= FUN
1,056 Posts
The numbers are in... Pacquiao-Bradley III did somewhere between 400-500k, which is about what was expected. Arum may have said 700k, but I think we knew that wasn't going to happen. It paid the bills. But hey, when Mayweather-Berto only did a little north of 400k, then Pacquiao-Bradley III did alright then.
there was noo hype whatsoever for mayweather/berto and i still dunno how it even managed to sell north of 400k. it was floyd just switching to cruise control and fulfilling his showtime contract after really running out of marketable opponents and you take into account the public distaste for the lackluster may/pac just a few months prior.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
arum said the numbers were a failure/disappointment... i dunno if we will see another 1 million plus ppv in the future. say floyd and manny stick to retirement, the closest you got is the canelo/ggg fight. i can see the canelo/khan fight doing 600k-700k maybe a bit more ppl are changing their tune and actually giving khan a better chance given all his recent muscle bulking pics. i dunno man, if all his speed carries up to that weight then im starting to think the fuckin annoying prick wins a decision.
It was probably a failure/disappointment compared to what Arum was expecting for whatever reason, but it did what I was expecting it to do.

Canelo-Khan isn't going to do that much, unless the fight is below $50 for HD. Khan can bulk up all he wants (and it shouldn't be a surprise since he is tall enough for his frame to support going up a class or two) but he's not magically going to start being able to knock out legitimate junior middleweights and middleweights when he wasn't exactly killing it at welterweight. The reality is that anyone can bulk up if they want to, so don't be fooled by Khan's thicker neck, especially if he's skipping leg day, and they'll turn into spaghetti just like they did when he was getting slapped around at 140.

But I will say that Canelo is the most likely successor to the PPV throne assuming Floyd and Manny stay retired, but he's not interesting enough to generate big PPV numbers with any of the current boxers on the horizon, unless there's someone out there who he legitimately has bad blood with.

there was noo hype whatsoever for mayweather/berto and i still dunno how it even managed to sell north of 400k. it was floyd just switching to cruise control and fulfilling his showtime contract after really running out of marketable opponents and you take into account the public distaste for the lackluster may/pac just a few months prior.
And some of that distaste was probably partially to blame for Pacquiao-Bradley III having similar PPV numbers, though probably slightly better once everything is tallied. But at least Manny gave people a show, one worthy of being a retirement fight if it ends up being that way.

But there wasn't too much hype for Manny's fight either, especially with all the negative publicity over the comment about gays.

·
11,750rpm+8,600rpm= FUN
1,056 Posts
haha yo berto went back to the uppercutt and got vic up outta there lol... dude thats one thing about berto man he's always had that siick right hand uppercutt but then his carreer went down the shitter and he abandoned it.... well i guess its safe to say it'll be danny garcia vs. andre berto which should be a good one.

·
11,750rpm+8,600rpm= FUN
1,056 Posts
yeaa supposedly he's looking at a $100 mill guarantee for fight #50. Whats up with his company trying to trademark tbe50/tmt50? It's an article on espn. I dunno, nobody actually believed he was retired. I think he's got at least 3 left in em' before he should call it quits. would love to see him fight maybe thurman or garcia... maybe a canelo/khan winner and GGG which will never happen but still...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The problem is that that kind of guarantee is really only viable against a couple of fighters. Showtime definitely lost money on his fight against Berto, and that was only with a guarantee in the $30 million range.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I was reading an article earlier that confirmed my thoughts. Regardless of who would be the most competitive option, the reality is that only another Pacquiao fight would generate that kind of revenue, like it or not. It definitely wouldn't match the first fight, but I could see it clearing 3 million with the right marketing.

Canelo is the second most likely option to generate the most buys. But seeing how their fight did something like 2.2 million and it Floyd ended up with around $80 million, there isn't much in the storyline that would make it an attractive option again to the point where the financials would support a nine-figure guarantee just for Floyd.

GGG would be a bad ass fight, but it's too risky for Floyd and he knows it. Plus the fanbase isn't there. I'd say that fight would do 1.5 million tops. Still very good, but a lot of money would be lost.

And all the other options definitely ain't gonna cut it. Showtime ain't gonna pay Floyd $100 million to fight someone like Garcia.

·
11,750rpm+8,600rpm= FUN
1,056 Posts
dude he got starrched!!! i didnt see the fight bt i heard khan was winning alot of the rounds before that? damn i hate working in the restaurant business i miss everything. DLH said trip g is next man we'll see... that shit gonna be a bangerr!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yeah, Khan's handspeed was good, and he was definitely up on the cards for the first four rounds pretty clearly, give or take, but not in a dominating manner. But I knew Canelo was going to land a big one, and that round, I was seriously thinking, any moment now. I'm glad Khan was pretty humble in his post-fight interview, but of course he's talking about he jumped to a bigger weight category than what he's comfortable at. I'm not sure where he'll go from here... coming off of a loss, he's not going to get someone like Garcia or Berto (especially since they both might fight each other). Maybe someone like Bradley?

·
11,750rpm+8,600rpm= FUN
1,056 Posts
man that's why there are weight classes, in all honesty khan had noo bizz fighting @ middleweight or ''caneloweight'' as they say so i do give him props for taking the fight. who ya like canelo or trip g?

1101 - 1120 of 1141 Posts