Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK guys, I never have anyone to help me with any work on my car so I always do things alone. For me one of the biggest pain in the asses is jacking up my car.

It's either drive up on 2x4's, which I have to position, drive forward, position again, since I'm doing it alone, or use the stcok jack to jack up the car a bit so I can slide my shitty little floor jack under the car.

And once I do lift up the car, the shitty jack doesn't lift it high enough to get the jack stands under it :mad:

So I'm going to go buy me a nice aluminum low profile floor jack.

I've narrowed my choices to these two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40105

1.5 Ton 3.5" minimum height & 17.5" max height

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92782

2 Ton 3.25" min. height & 18.25" Max height

I'm leaning towards the second one because of the higher lift height.

You guys post up your jacks & specs.

mods, if you guys feel that this should be in another section, by all means feel free to move it :thumbsup:

·
Beast Mode
9,149 Posts
check out northern tool

I've got this one, which I have noticed a lot of other autocrossers use too:

1.5 ton, 3.3" minimum height, 14.8" maximum height for $80 before shipping

but the height may not be enough for you but is great for all around purposes and gets my car up onto my 3ton craftsmen jackstands

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I also looked at that one, but the max height is only .8" higher than the crappy one I have now. Although it would fit under my car, I dont think it will lift it high enough for me.

Also, I'm going with Harbor Freight because the Mrs. gave me a $150 gift certificate from there for our anniversary (thats why I love her)

·
2 trunks = twice the fun!
1,020 Posts
check out northern tool

I've got this one, which I have noticed a lot of other autocrossers use too:

1.5 ton, 3.3" minimum height, 14.8" maximum height for $80 before shipping

but the height may not be enough for you but is great for all around purposes and gets my car up onto my 3ton craftsmen jackstands
Is 14.8" enough to lift a side? I find that's easiest on race day for tire changing. Put the jack underneath the front jack-point, then lift it until both tires are off the ground. But that's with a buddy's jack; don't know how high it actually is.

-Dan!!

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
I'd definitely buy the second one because of the higher lift as well.

When I replace my pos floor jack I'm looking for the highest max lift number I can find. I've maxed mine out on too many occaisions.

·
Beast Mode
9,149 Posts
Is 14.8" enough to lift a side? I find that's easiest on race day for tire changing. Put the jack underneath the front jack-point, then lift it until both tires are off the ground. But that's with a buddy's jack; don't know how high it actually is.

-Dan!!
I have used it to swap out wheels using the front and rear lift points, haven't lifted the side. To be honest, the back is tough to get off the ground with aspec suspension, its right at the max height. Especially if you are on asphalt which the wheels sink in a little compared to concrete. So this jack may not be good for stock ride height. I usually just throw a 2x4 under the back liftpoint if I need the height.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually own both.
Of the ones I posted ?

Which one do you like more?

do you find that 17.5" is enough lift to place jack stands under it or should I just say "fuck it" & go with the 18.25" lift ?

It's only .75" more :dontknow:

G

·
I have the first one in your post, then the Northern Tool one, but by Craftsman. I'm sure they are all made in the same factory in China, then branded accordingly. I like the bigger one better, but my car is not lowered much.

·
d[-_-]b
11,926 Posts
i got my craftsman jack on sale/associate discount for 47.99.

it goes up to 23 in. and goes all the up in 2 pumps. im lowered on prokit and have the aspec lip and it still fits under the front.

·
I don't know you
16,615 Posts
i have 2 craftsman 3.5 ton floorjacks. they aren't "low-profile" but are pretty low, i can ALMOST get it under the front without doing anything (usually i jack one side up with the other jack, 2 - 3 pumps then i can get the other jack under the front.

they go up like 22" or a little higher, i personally wouldn't buy a jack that goes any less.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i broke mine
by what I was reading it seems that it is an internal design flaw. 80% of the reviews were negative & all described the same thing. They used it a few times & it began leaking & finally stoped working.

So YOU didnt break it, it just broke :laughing:

Or maybe you did break it :dontknow:

G

·
wow, been reading some really bad reviews of the Craftsman aluminum racing jack :noes:
It doesn't matter. All these aluminum jacks are more than likely made in the same plant in China. You are seeing sample variation, which can be quite high among Chinese equipment. I'm in the machinery business and this is indicative of their quality control standards.

·
American HP!!
25,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I'm going to go get mine on Saturday, but when I'm there I'm going to find the fattest bitch there & tell her to stand on the jack & jack her up a few time to make sure it can handle the loads.

·
Zero Tolerance 4 Retards
809 Posts
Everything I have ever bought at harbor freight has broken within 1 months time!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.