Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
^^^given slave name
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to the increasing amount of people in this forum posting threads regarding viruses, spyware, and general malware concerns, I decided to comprise a list of useful software and various procedures to clean, disinfect, and otherwise fix your computer from malware. This write-up is tailored to the Windows OS and really does not apply to those who use Mac or Linux (like you guys really have virus problems anyway, haha). Please read this thoroughly before creating your own thread where we would tell you the same thing anyway :)

Antivirus Protection:
Avast. Most of us here do not pay for virus protection an Avast works great. Install it and run a boot time scan before doing anything else.

Download Avast here
be sure to register it!

Spyware Protection:
There isn't just one program in this category that fixes everything, but using several programs in conjunction usually does the trick. Using SUPERAntispyware, along with SpyBot, and HiJackThis you should get most of your malware problems solved. If you are not familiar with your internet browser processes or what they are, feel free to post the log from hijackthis here on the board, we will be happy to look at it for you and give our recommendations.

General Guidelines to follow:
Always install your critical and security updates, run msconfig regularly to disable unnecessary startup processes and stop using Internet Explorer. Switch to Firefox or Google Chrome to be safer.

Intrusion Protection:
A couple of pointers here. One, use WPA2-AES encryption on your routers if at all possible. For compatibility reasons you may have to use a different encryption method to support older wireless devices, but try using at least that. MAC address filtering does nothing if your router is not secure! So dont bother. Firewalls are a great idea, and personally I just use the Windows Firewall, but if you are a bit paranoid still you can always get your hands on ZoneAlarm, works pretty well, just a bit intrusive.

Please feel free to add to or append to this thread with your ideas, opinions, and/or findings. Of course the software world is always changing, so I hope to change this thread to reflect the newest and best software to protect and clean your computer.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
I nominate for a sticky!

I always keep backups of the stuff I want to keep on an external terabyte HDD and just reformat the computer so it's like new, fresh from the box. It's a pain to get everything reinstalled, but it is the best way to be sure the problem is taken care of.

·
when in rome
18,627 Posts
Windows XP users Only:

Anti-Virus: Avast
Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5 (it was free, if not look it up on torrents) best FW, great options
Spyware and Malware: Spybot 1.6 (by far the best background spyware blocked) Malwarebytes (free version has to be ran manually, great combo with spybot)
PC and Registry cleaner: CCleaner (free, try it. it kicks ass and has advanced features)

·
^^^given slave name
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I nominate for a sticky!

I always keep backups of the stuff I want to keep on an external terabyte HDD and just reformat the computer so it's like new, fresh from the box. It's a pain to get everything reinstalled, but it is the best way to be sure the problem is taken care of.
dude...use Ghost and store the image with your programs already installed :thumbsup:

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
dude...use Ghost and store the image with your programs already installed :thumbsup:
Then all I've got to do is reload the music and videos... I didn't even know about that :) It's such a pain reinstalling all my games then putting the saves in their respective places.

·
Super Moderator
430,556 Posts
i'm using window xp pro and right now i'm running nod 3.2 with zonealarm firewall and internet shield, you guys think that is good?

·
Super Moderator
430,556 Posts
damn and i heard nod is good too, thats why i got it in the first place. should i also get rid of my zonealarm software?

·
2/3's of a post per day
455 Posts

·
^^^given slave name
18,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To pretty much solve any infection you need the following:

SuperAntiSpyware
Trojan Remover (this never gets any credit...but it's bad ass)
MalwareBytes
Combofix
Avast
Hijackthis

That's my Virus/Trojan removal dream team. I clean more machines than you can ever imagine. It's what I make most of my money from.

BTW that's def an infection.
copying and pasting to the stickie...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,821 Posts

·
Registered
12,821 Posts
1 - 20 of 77 Posts