Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Oil for boosting..

Tags
boosting oil
2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  PJsSCW 
#1 ·
I just got finished talking with my uncle about the oil he sells, Motul. I told him I would have the turbo in soon and he offered the 8100 Motul oil to me, but my question is, its recommended to change oil every 2000 miles with turbo.... but my uncle said with motul i wouldnt need to do it so often, my question is how often would you recommend with motul 8100?

Thanks.

#5 ·
ecks said:
I just got finished talking with my uncle about the oil he sells, Motul. I told him I would have the turbo in soon and he offered the 8100 Motul oil to me, but my question is, its recommended to change oil every 2000 miles with turbo.... but my uncle said with motul i wouldnt need to do it so often, my question is how often would you recommend with motul 8100?

Thanks.
ALWAYS!!!!!!! Always change your oil between 3000-5000 miles.

#12 ·
The amount of heat the turbocharger soaks up from the exhaust gas is huge, and it would be wise to change your oil often so you maintain its viscosity to help fight friction. Also, when you run rich, your oil gets dirty fairly quickly. Some of the un-burnt gasoline gets into the engine oil and fouls it up, and that makes the oil less effective. Unless you have 0 blow-by, this is going to happen continuously.

I would say every 3000 miles and a good filter would do the engine wonders. You don't even need to use synthetic, just oil that's thick enough to take the abuse.

#14 ·
Just recently I went to get my oil change at Jiffy Lube; Of course I brought my own oil (Mobile1 10w-30). Nehow, I got the chance to speak with an attendent who was asking about the turbo. Our conversation lead up to comparing oils. He highly recommended Royal Purple and Penzoil. Throughout the whole conversation he was basically putting down Mobile 1.

#17 ·
Aasyranth said:
Is it any different for water-cooled turbos? Or would you still want to change every 2K? That's pretty much as close to a factory turbosystem as one can get.
Remember, that poor turbine spins at over 100000 rpm.......

I would make sure I feed it the best oil possible.

Water-cooled turbochargers improve reliability, but the oil carries deposits and dirt so it still needs to be changed regularly.

#18 ·
Cn

I got big question about the cybernation stage 1 turbo.

What is its potential of the stage 1 turbo on a type S if i only got the stage 1 with pistons and rods because i am planning to get one sometime soon?
Also if i am planning on running at least 300 whp what would you recommend on me getting pistons? rods? flywheel?

#21 ·
I use mobil 1 - 10W30 ... in my rsx and my bike (2003 yamaha R1) Abike magazine did a comparison on different oils ... i dont remember exactly which ones but i remember that mobil 1 was superior to all except like 2 others and they tesed like 12 different oils. car and bike oils. the said not to let color oils fool you that they break down just as fast (royal Purple)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.