Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Class: Now in Session
Joined
·
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base rsx and I've been wanting to change my own oil to save a little bit of extra cash. Anyway, the base uses 5W-20 and the Type S uses 5w-30. I know it's a little bit thicker for the type S, right? for the engine difference. It's damn near impossible to find 5w-20 for my car. would it be okay to switch over to 5w-30 or is that not a good idea. The dealership said, no bueno. I could ruin the car if i switch. But I know once you got syn, you can't go back. What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
ya if you read the owners manual it does mention using 5w-30 and gives some ranges etc.

but like bembol said go with synthetic mobil-1 5w-30 and get rid of that fram filter ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
sythetic

if you go with synthetic how often should u change the oil? still every 3000 miles?



sawwbuzz said:
ya if you read the owners manual it does mention using 5w-30 and gives some ranges etc.

but like bembol said go with synthetic mobil-1 5w-30 and get rid of that fram filter ;)
 

·
clubrsx NO-BODY
Joined
·
5,410 Posts
nope.. if you switch to synthetic... you can probably change it everyone 4000 or so
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
hamsup said:
nope.. if you switch to synthetic... you can probably change it everyone 4000 or so
do you really notice a difference or is it suppose to help in the long run?
it is so expensive... i am debating if i should do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,800 Posts
I've read that 5w-20 is more a fuel saving measure.
Because it's thinner at operating temps you get ever-so-slightly better gas mileage which looks good for the EPA fuel economy ratings, but it's not necessarily as good for your engine life.

A few sites recommend you always use a 30 rather than 20 for operating weight; so you'd want to use a 5w30 for the base too.
 

·
i ❤ macro.
Joined
·
15,894 Posts
Frosty said:
I've read that 5w-20 is more a fuel saving measure.
Because it's thinner at operating temps you get ever-so-slightly better gas mileage which looks good for the EPA fuel economy ratings, but it's not necessarily as good for your engine life.

A few sites recommend you always use a 30 rather than 20 for operating weight; so you'd want to use a 5w30 for the base too.
I use 5W-20 for my base engine, that's not good? :dontknow:
 

·
Long Member
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
EternalBlue said:
I use 5W-20 for my base engine, that's not good? :dontknow:
It's not bad...and this has been talked to death in other threads...Honda is using 20 weight to boost their CAFE rating. It's not going to do anything horrific, but as the resident oil experts will tell you, 30 weight will provide better protection with little or no difference in fuel economy.
 

·
Yeah ok
Joined
·
343 Posts
HudsonHawk said:
It's not bad...and this has been talked to death in other threads...Honda is using 20 weight to boost their CAFE rating. It's not going to do anything horrific, but as the resident oil experts will tell you, 30 weight will provide better protection with little or no difference in fuel economy.
i am using mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic and i love it. it seems to rev a lil smoother, been checking the levels about every two weeks..not burning any oil at all, have about 5500 miles without changing so far. gonna stick with it from now on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
nixonrsx said:
i am using mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic and i love it. it seems to rev a lil smoother, been checking the levels about every two weeks..not burning any oil at all, have about 5500 miles without changing so far. gonna stick with it from now on.
how far you planning on going without changing the oil?
 

·
Yeah ok
Joined
·
343 Posts
only proally another 500 miles..then ill be around 10,000 total.. i have been checking it, oil seems to be pretty clean, still almost clear, and at proper levels, im not gonna go much over 6000 miles between changes though. i dont really drive my car hard either, may have a lil to do with it. i duno
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top