Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Oil for the base RSX

Tags
base oil rsx
33K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  nixonrsx 
#1 ·
I have a base rsx and I've been wanting to change my own oil to save a little bit of extra cash. Anyway, the base uses 5W-20 and the Type S uses 5w-30. I know it's a little bit thicker for the type S, right? for the engine difference. It's damn near impossible to find 5w-20 for my car. would it be okay to switch over to 5w-30 or is that not a good idea. The dealership said, no bueno. I could ruin the car if i switch. But I know once you got syn, you can't go back. What do you guys think?

#3 ·
ya if you read the owners manual it does mention using 5w-30 and gives some ranges etc.

but like bembol said go with synthetic mobil-1 5w-30 and get rid of that fram filter ;)

#12 ·
I've read that 5w-20 is more a fuel saving measure.
Because it's thinner at operating temps you get ever-so-slightly better gas mileage which looks good for the EPA fuel economy ratings, but it's not necessarily as good for your engine life.

A few sites recommend you always use a 30 rather than 20 for operating weight; so you'd want to use a 5w30 for the base too.

#13 ·
Frosty said:
I've read that 5w-20 is more a fuel saving measure.
Because it's thinner at operating temps you get ever-so-slightly better gas mileage which looks good for the EPA fuel economy ratings, but it's not necessarily as good for your engine life.

A few sites recommend you always use a 30 rather than 20 for operating weight; so you'd want to use a 5w30 for the base too.
I use 5W-20 for my base engine, that's not good? :dontknow:

#14 ·
EternalBlue said:
I use 5W-20 for my base engine, that's not good? :dontknow:
It's not bad...and this has been talked to death in other threads...Honda is using 20 weight to boost their CAFE rating. It's not going to do anything horrific, but as the resident oil experts will tell you, 30 weight will provide better protection with little or no difference in fuel economy.

#15 ·
HudsonHawk said:
It's not bad...and this has been talked to death in other threads...Honda is using 20 weight to boost their CAFE rating. It's not going to do anything horrific, but as the resident oil experts will tell you, 30 weight will provide better protection with little or no difference in fuel economy.
i am using mobil 1 0w-20 synthetic and i love it. it seems to rev a lil smoother, been checking the levels about every two weeks..not burning any oil at all, have about 5500 miles without changing so far. gonna stick with it from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.