Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fully built block with all new internals should i run a non synthetic oil first to break the engine without boost?? and once i go boost and go on the dyno i will be going with mobil 1 synthetic i was thinking of 15w 50?? i will be making about 600-700whp

any advice

Tom

·
:)
15,519 Posts
your join date is OLD SKOOL.... Damn...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Depends more on how hard your going to drive it. Is it your daily? How often do you go WOT? What kind of weather do you drive in? Are you going to just chill and cruise mostly with occasional wot or do alot of "very aggressive" driving?

Redline Synthetic
10w-40 for normal driving.
15w-50 for anything else. Not recomended for when outside temps are below 10 degrees F.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,830 Posts
I would run synthetic for the break in, I think it matters more that you change it after running it hard for a couple hundred miles and then repeat.

·
Registered
195 Posts
synthetic particles are too small and dont seal as well i run conventional all the time, just change it every 2500-3000
The synthetic vs. conventional debate is endless. Although yes technically synthetic particles are smaller keep in mind that viscosity ratings vary from brand to brand and this may not always apply. Mobil for example is notorious for being rather thin.

Under extreme heat (example: high hp turbo applications) most 10-30's can't handle the heat and end up thinning down. That's why it's important, synthetic or not to run a heavier oil. However good ester based synthetics, at operating temperature can handle more heat than a conventional oil with the same viscosity and given this will not reach it's thermal barrier and break down.

Using just enough viscosity to prevent oil consumption and thermal breakdown is the key. This is why I advocate true ester based synthetics. They provide more lubricity, have a much higher flash point and heat tolerance and will not polymerize. You spent all this money on the motor, don't cheap out on the life blood of it.

·
CLUBRSX.com Supporter
3,684 Posts
Use standard 5w-30 for break in, then switch to mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30. Don't get crazy with all these different oil weights, you are wasting your time. The factory recommends 5w-30and they designed this engine not you, so use what Honda tells you.

·
Still tuning....
3,836 Posts
Use standard 5w-30 for break in, then switch to mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30. Don't get crazy with all these different oil weights, you are wasting your time. The factory recommends 5w-30and they designed this engine not you, so use what Honda tells you.
:iamwiths:...kinda,lol, except I go with 10w-30 Mobil 1 (full syn.) after it is broke in. I have built/sold/honed/replaced/etc.. a lot of motors. Once I rebuild a motor for someone, I tell them to run 5w-30 (conventional like castrol, pennzoil, etc..) for 500 miles, change it and run another 500, then your ready for what ever oil your going to run.

I have never had a motor have low compression, oil burning, thrown bearings, etc...Usually, a motor is broke in within the first 20 minutes (ring wise), but the 1k miles makes sure all particals are off the walls and any bearings are fully seated and lapped to the crank.

15w-50 = slow ass spool time too for a DD if you have a thrust/journal bearing turbo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts