Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Oil leak under car PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

56K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  IronGumby 
#1 · (Edited)
hello fellow CRSX please help me also tks in advance for your thoughts

car type 2005 acura rsx type s k20z1

ok so i got this oil leak it is coming from the metal plate area between my tranning and my engine. it is also coming out of a hole located right above the passenger side axle

what i researched people saying it was the passenger side transmission seal. i was going to do my clutch so i decided to get both the driver side and passenger side axle seals and rear main seal while im at it just in case.

just got done changing the two axle seals and rear main seal and my clutch but... its been 3 days since then and my same oil leak is coming back. i cleaned everything very well before i put any of the new parts in... i have some pictures of what it looks like as of today down below.

please give me any thought of what you think it can be... i tried to smell the oil to see if its coming from the transmission or the engine but the oil is kind of odorless or maybe my nose is not working but again please let me know

p.s. sorry for the crappy spelling im trying to describe everything quick and ask any questions you want in order to solve this problem

update:

ok i did all of the valve cover gaskets # 1,2,3,4,15,14 in the picture above. it is not leaking anymore from the valve cover BUT it is still leaking somewhere below because i still have the exact same leak and NO my head gasket is not bad and my block is NOT warped there is no oil leaking anywhere from the beginning of the head to the top of the head.

i looked very close and it seem like it could be leaking anywhere below around the block area mainly inside the transmission casing could even be the transmission leaking.... im narrowing it down to the oil pan...??? any more guesses? please help

Final update Problem SOLVED:

it was leaking at the weirdest spot every the bolt that connects behind the block that is located behind the flywheel. decided to take it off and upt some taflon tape on it and bam no more leaking oil/
heres a picture its number 3 in the picture

See less See more
#2 ·
Start looking up high and work your way down low. It is best If everything is clean then the leak will be more pronounced. U check ur valve cover gasket yet, if it does leak it usually will be one of the rear corners. Maybe not your vtec Silinoid but check anyways. My guess would have been the axle-seals, then oil pan.

#3 ·
might of been oil filter when changed oil, oil pan bolt, might need to put silicone on vc gasket at points, cover for chain tensioner, head might not be mated right to head, and last but not least rear main seal could be bad...there you go all possibilities..lol

#4 ·
Tks guys/girls if anything I don't think it's coming from the passenger side at all but I'll check anyways you'll never know it's not the rear main seal because I just changed it... but what it does look like is maybe it's coming from the oil pan I'll do that and see where that leads me... I was reading this one post on google and they said that some people have to change their passenger side transmission seal more than once and they said that the reason to that's is because possibility that the differential bearing is probably going out I'll post up the link to that later let me know what you guys thing about that

#5 ·
i would honestly check the valve cover on the tranny side your supposed to put grey silicone there where the sensors are but on the gasket...i had a rsx z1 block and it had a oil leak on the mateing part of the block to head...

#6 ·
Check your valve cover gasket, my car looked like that underneath and i checked the vc gasket and that was my problem, i bought a oem gasket off here and put it on and tourqed all the bolts to what they needed to be and had no problems since, i beleive the tourqe specs are 7.2 or 7.5? correct me if im wrong, and there is no need for honda bond if its tourqed correctly either.

#7 ·
your wrong!!!!!!!!!!!! lol jk

everytime i've got a oem valve cover off they always put silicone where the chain cover meets head and side where sensors are(4 spots)..

#8 ·
Just checked the area of te valve cover u guys told me it's still good no leaks anywhere to be found on the valve cover at all and the leak is consistent so if there was any leak I would be able to spot it easily please lmk if there's anything else I should check

#9 ·
is it a big leak?? or do you think it could be the oil left from filter after oil change??

#11 ·
I don't think it's the oil left from the oil filter because I did my last oil changes months ago and about how much oil am I losing not sure but I can say that I park in the garage and every day the puddle gets a little bigger not too big I say right now it's about 1 inch but because I just had this problem before and when I did open my transmission oil was everywhere

#12 · (Edited)
sounds like the head might be leaking where the motor mates to block if it persists heavily on tranny side......you changed the rear main seal right?oil pan had any work?

#18 · (Edited)
sounds like the head might be leaking where the motor mates to block if it persists heavily on tranny side......you changed the rear main seal right?oil pan had any work?
This is worst case scenario, but there were some K blocks with casting issues...
i agree i have a z1 block that i just built had the same issue oil went down from head and block. :chillout: :shakehead luckily i spun a bearing on 700 miles loss of oil pressure maybe my issue who knows, although i was on s2 cams and 50 shot of nos lol.

sucks guys but if you want it to stop i would look at buying a new block or just taking it apart tell machine shop ur issues..have them take it from there..

i took the time to take pics so you could see your issue under the head and gasket..peep it..

k20z1 block rsx-s

k24a4 block i have on ice lol

#15 · (Edited)
Hey I looked at ure thread and the pictures looks just like mines exactly u said that u replaced the two bolts on the shifter mechanism what exactly r u talking about any pictures would really help tks if u can't get pictures a diagram from oemacuraparts.com could help with the description tks also did this solve your problem?

#14 ·
Yes I already changed the rear main seal and no it's not leaking from the head gasket I looked all around especially the corner where I took the picture to see if it was coming from up above but like I said I had this issue before and the whole inside of my transmission where my clutch is at is all oily donno where it's coming from maybe from the inside then peaking out or somewhere in The outside leaking in lmk any thoughts

#19 ·
Hey that's a good though about the head leaking I was just wondering if u had oil inside your transmission casing like where the clutch is at? Because when I opened my transmission to change the rear main seal the first time there was oil everywhere inside there it was moist but not to the point where it was watery

#20 ·
problem possibly solved so i took into consideration that maybe it might be leaking from the head gasket and as i stuck my head inside my engine bay to look between my head and block i noticed oil yes!! and no!! well i kept looking up and basically found my problem it was like what you guys said from the beginning my valve cover gaskets were leaking i took some pictures just in case any one wanted a visual.

my question now is... ok i know i want to buy a valve cover gasket set, and maybe the O rings that goes where those sensors go into the head basically the ones in the picture that you can see. anyways what else should i buy while im at it? any gasket reccomendations my car has about 110.xxx and i am the second owner and from what i know none of the gaskets on the engine have ever been changed except for the ones i stated and i did the head gasket a while back maybe 20,000 miles ago but just looking to do gaskets that are around there

ps not 100% sure this will solve my problem i will give you guys feed back as tiime goes by

#23 · (Edited)
dam it looks like you tried to seal every leak spot possibble even the ones i didn't think of:snap:.....seriously i was thinking and it doesn't look like it a major pressure leak maybe you can seal it with hondabond around the headgasket area where the oil passage leaks from insteadof rebuilding the whole thing all over...the gray is where you can lightly spread hondabond to try and seal leak or if you have a straight cutting device maybe you can resurface block with head off sealing the leak...

looks like where leak is coming from

G
#24 ·
Please, never use Hondabond on a head gasket. That is totally unnecessary in this case and if there is indeed an oil leak coming from the head gasket, then it means the gasket it shot and if that is the case, then Hondabond won't fix that.

On 99% of all our motors, there is no need for any type of additional sealent on the head gasket. If you look at a head gasket, you will see how the factory has embossed various ridges, which are dsigned to compress and seal the various coolant and oil passages as you torque the head down to the block.

Texmex, you have been giving some misguided advice lately.

#26 ·
its hard to fix a block when its on the car and sometimes not even worth fixing over just a oil leak that can be ignored..i was just pointing out that thats where the block has its defects and maybe theres a fix for that. so, take my advice as you wish:thumbsup:

#25 ·
Not sure where you are in this but when I changed the head cover gasket on my integra, one of the mounting bolts broke. The nut was stuck and just ended up breaking the bolt. So I would recommend getting at least one of each of the bolts and 1-2 extra nuts just in case. Might seem like a waste of $5 but well worth it if you need them. Parts 10, 11, and 13 here for Type-S

#27 ·
update:

ok i did all of the valve cover gaskets # 1,2,3,4,15,14 in the picture above. it is not leaking anymore from the valve cover BUT it is still leaking somewhere below because i still have the exact same leak and NO my head gasket is not bad and my block is NOT warped there is no oil leaking anywhere from the beginning of the head to the top of the head.

i looked very close and it seem like it could be leaking anywhere below around the block area mainly inside the transmission casing could even be the transmission leaking.... im narrowing it down to the oil pan...??? any more guesses? please help

#28 ·
awesome write up man, my car is doing the same also, originally was going to change out the rear main and replace it with a new one, and now looking like I will be removing that bolt also and throw some Teflon tape around it as well. Do you by any chance know what that bolt is called? or what it's purpose is?

#29 · (Edited)
replaced everything as well thats why i say block...replaced main seal, redid vc twice, and oil pan on my rsx-s..then i ran it lean so i pulled out engine..then tried using the block case and it leaked on the same side my rsx did and all the seals were brand new.. now if you have a leak that doesn't look tranny related and its comming from timing cover side 9 times out of 10 its ur tct cover..btw i have resurfaced block case fs if anyone needs it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.