Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pil leak on the passenger side looking from the front of the car and it's in the back by firewall. I just reached and felt for oil filter and the oil pressure switch and I really didn't see oil. Any ideas?

· Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
It's leaking around the gasket all the way around pretty much
Are you looking at the head or the valve cover? If your head gasket was leaking, you would likely be experiencing misfires and over heating. You'd also probably have coolant mixed in with your oil. It's possible for a head gasket to leak around a cylinder or two, but I've never seen it leak all of the way around.

· Registered
8 Posts
Are you looking at the head or the valve cover? If your head gasket was leaking, you would likely be experiencing misfires and over heating. You'd also probably have coolant mixed in with your oil. It's possible for a head gasket to leak around a cylinder or two, but I've never seen it leak all of the way around.
Is it Possible for the head gasket to be leaking oil but it’s not mixed with coolant and it doesn’t over heat?

· Registered
113 Posts
Idk about all this "head gasket leak" business. I suppose its plausible that the head/block is warped in such a way that a side or spot might leak, but definitely not "all the way around". Who diagnosed the location of the leak?

Imho, i would clean the engine best i could and put talcum powder all around where the head gasket is. Start her up and look. Take for a short drive and look.

Vc gasket or vtec solenoid seem far more likely. I've seen oil pans leak if the old sealant wasn't cleaned off, or from age, or if it wasn't installed before the hondabond started to set.

Was the head ever off? What engine work has been done? Has the car ever overheated?

· Super Moderator
2,100 Posts
Is it Possible for the head gasket to be leaking oil but it’s not mixed with coolant and it doesn’t over heat?
I don't think it's possible to have one leak without the other, but I've also only ever dealt with this one time. Best way to approach this is to clean up the engine bay with a degreaser and start poking around the block. I use Simple Green on mine. If you can get the car to a shop, you can have them do a leak down test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts