Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey was driving home from work after my commute an noticed a strong smell like a burning. I get home pop my hood an i notice the engine is really hot, i check the oil it was halfway to the 1rst dot from empty. I just had a oil change done 2 weeks ago at a oil change place because i was short on time an needed a oil change bad. I will be filling the oil up tommorow before i drive the car. im just curious as to why my oil is going so fast. When i have been driving like a grandma on the qew an 401.
my coolant level seems to be fine, not seeing smoke or smelling oil when i drive either which is weird.

I think its my piston rings or valve seals, i have 208 000 km on the car all highway
any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping others may have had this issue before. please chime in if you know what the issue may be.

·
1,561 Posts
Was it doing it before the oil change? Check the bolt on the oil pan and see if it is leaking from there. Is there oil under the car? Also check around the oil filter and see if it was tightened too much or not enough. Look for the obvious things before you start assuming the worst.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
I wouldnt get too concerned yet since you dont know where the level was to start. They probably only put 4 litres in and called it a day. That doesnt help when it'll take close to 5.

As for the low oil, I was also about half below the bottom dot just last week. That was after 7500k though. No ill effect though, threw another litre in it and will continue to 10k as planned.

·
ex-rsxer
8,204 Posts
The distance between the two dots represents 1 liter. So if you were halfway between the bottom of the stick and the first dot, you're approximately down 1 liter from ideal. Keep in mind that you checked it while the engine was hot, so that missing liter was probably spewed all over your internals. I'd bet you're not missing much at all, the oil change place might have underfilled it a little. Check when cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts