Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me everything there is to know about reading a Oil Pressure gauge. Like what would it mean if at idle your oil pressure is higher than normal? Or lower than normal? What is normal? Does the gauge tell you when you need to add oil, burning oil, leaking oil?

Lol, I know this is dumb, but I figured others might have same kind of questions.

Thanks.

·
///M
5,299 Posts
i really dunno, but i have one.. well when at idle, it reads about 25 psi... when you are driving it shoots up to 75ish psi... when you first start thte car, its at 75psi cause u need to lube up the block.. i dont drive until the oil psi hits 50 when first starting the car... i would say that if your oil pressure starts to drop then obviously you are losing oil either buy burning it or by leakage.. it is necessary with a turbo to make sure u have sufficient oil for both the turbo and the block... other then that, that's all i really know... now... to ask MY question.....

How to read A/F? What do the ratios mean :) i know that it tells you when you're too lean or too much fuel, but i want more info!! more more more :p

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ok, here is my question, what does it mean when ur to rich or to lean and why does this cause detonation to some engines that are turbocharged, and is it easy to detonate a turbocharged engine, This is my worst fear, fuking up my new car.

So i'm sorry i ask such newbie questions but i need to learn.

thanks

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
ecks said:
Can someone tell me everything there is to know about reading a Oil Pressure gauge. Like what would it mean if at idle your oil pressure is higher than normal? Or lower than normal? What is normal? Does the gauge tell you when you need to add oil, burning oil, leaking oil?

Lol, I know this is dumb, but I figured others might have same kind of questions.

Thanks.
low oil pressure: worn bearings, bad oil pump cover assembly, massive oil leak.

high oil pressure: oil passage blockage, pressure relief valve not working(don't know if your oil pump assembly has one, not too sure about Honda engines), tight bearing clearance, worng oil viscosity.

Usually, 20-25 psi during cold idle, 10 psi or so at hot idle, 40-50 at cruising and 60-70 psi past 4-5K RPM. Varies in different cars.

·
Registered
462 Posts
unlimited77 said:
Ok, here is my question, what does it mean when ur to rich or to lean and why does this cause detonation to some engines that are turbocharged, and is it easy to detonate a turbocharged engine, This is my worst fear, fuking up my new car.

So i'm sorry i ask such newbie questions but i need to learn.

thanks

Rich and Lean are to very different things. A rich condition means that you have more fuel than necessary. This can cause problems like misfires and fouled plugs as well as backfires. Running too lean is when you are not running enough fuel. This is the more dangerous of the 2. Running lean will cause temperatures to increase in the combustion chamber to the point where the fuel will ignite before it is supposed to as well as possibly cause the pistons to meltdown.

The trick to keeping turbo cars from detonating is just making sure you have enough fuel. Fuel will keep the cylinders cool. Just make sure you don’t run out of it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
haha, so all i have to do is keep my gas tank full right.?

And another question, i am thinking of getting a stage 2 mixed with stage 3 parts turbo kit from cybernation, you guys will make the settings for the a/f ratio right.?

I dont have to mess with it right.?

Cause i was so afraid of people saying that thier turbo rsx detonates like its an every day thing.

thanks

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
unlimited77 said:
haha, so all i have to do is keep my gas tank full right.?

And another question, i am thinking of getting a stage 2 mixed with stage 3 parts turbo kit from cybernation, you guys will make the settings for the a/f ratio right.?

I dont have to mess with it right.?

Cause i was so afraid of people saying that thier turbo rsx detonates like its an every day thing.

thanks
Why would get get stage 2 or 3 turbo if you dont really know anything about turbos? Just stick with Stage 1 if you get one at all. Keeping you gas tank full isn't the only thing you need to do. You also need to make sure that you stay rich while boosting, you also need to make sure that your boost gauge says at the right PSI (depending on the kit you get), you also need to make sure you ALWAYS have the proper amount of oil and check leaks, and change your oil every 2000 or so miles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
how then how often do turbo charged cars change your motor oil, if you used mobil synthetic?

I know i dont know alot about turbo maintenece but that is why i am not getting one for another 2 or 3 years, but i will not go for a stage one, i would rather wait and learn more then go through buying part after part. I live in an area were car tuning just does not happen so when i get something installed i have to travel and i want to get it all at once.

·
///M
5,299 Posts
i think ur supposed to used a synthetic oil for turbos and u can probably get away with every 3K miles

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
oil pressure goes up during acceleration , up for a while when at cold start, and then should read normal during warmed up idle.

rich is too much fuel, not enough air.. you will always be rich when at full throttle

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unlimited77 said:
how then how often do turbo charged cars change your motor oil, if you used mobil synthetic?

I know i dont know alot about turbo maintenece but that is why i am not getting one for another 2 or 3 years, but i will not go for a stage one, i would rather wait and learn more then go through buying part after part. I live in an area were car tuning just does not happen so when i get something installed i have to travel and i want to get it all at once.
O okay, I thought you meant you were getting a stage 2 soon. If your gonna wait awhile and learn everything there is to know, then go ahead and get a higher stage! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts