Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, been a Loooong time member here (joined in about 04 but so totally forgot my user name and password I just registered a new account)

My 03 base is getting on in years and recently developed a pretty significant oil leak. Bad enough to require a cardboard box under it to catch drips. Took it to my local mechanic and he gave me three possibilities. Oil Filter, Oil pressure switch /sending unit, or oil pan gasket.

So today I was installing a new oil pressure switch that I got as an Xmas gift (Best GF ever) But as I was installing it I noticed that quite a few of its threads are still sticking out when its tightened to 13Ft*lbs(helms manual specification). I cleaned the threads as best I could and put a generous application of HondaBond on it but I would say at best its only engaged 4 maaayyybe 5 threads. I know its a tapered fit but it still makes me uneasy that so much of the threads are sticking out.

Im very hesitant to torque it more after seeing some of the horror stories of people breaking the boss that the oil pressure switch mounts on.

Its a $6 "vlaucraft" brand from autozone and isnt made to the same dimensions as the Honda OEM. I'm seriously considering ponying the $30 for the genuine Honda oem cause it just doesnt seem to be seated properly. Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with this and could settle my doubts.

Thanks Adam

·
Registered
78 Posts
#1 the best GF ever would have bought a Honda part. So tired....
#2 if your local mechanic charged you to give you those three options then you need to fire him, he did what your own eyeballs could have done with some competence.

#3 how far did the old one screw in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fact that she paid enough attention to actually remember that the car needed an oil pressure sending unit is not something you would find in many women. Also considering the entire passenger side of the engine bay was coated in oil to the point that I just couldn't tell where the leak was coming from, the fact that they were able to narrow it down really actually helped.

As best I can tell the original part managed to get about 5 threads but I also think its flange made contact with the boss where the new part still has maybe an 1/8th of an inch of clearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts