Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my oil changed alittle more then a month ago and have done 1k miles since then. When i got my oil change i had 3k miles and got it done at the dealer. For those 3k miles my oil was always a nice golden color and i was told that it should look like that. Now after my recent oil change, i just checked my oil now, i have 4k miles and my oil is alot darker than the golden color, its almost turning to black and it looks like it has air bubbles in it.....my driving habits havent changed and i havent driven the car any different so whats up with my oil? Should i change my oil again?

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with the type of oil they used, but maybe it's just darker to begin with from what you normally use. Worst case scenario you change your oil yourself again and use the oil you normally use.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
It depends on the oil they use.

My factory fill was still goldish in color right up to the first oil change at 8000kms. I let the dealer use their dino oil for the first change and that oil looked black at 7000kms so I changed it then. It may very well have looked like that sooner, but I can't recall.

Granted, I had been driving it a lot harder after the first oil change than during that first period.

I wouldn't be too concerned about bubbles provided the oil level is within the dots. As for the color, its probably not something to be too concerned about either. Keep an eye on the level, but you should be fine.

FWIW, My second oil change was to Mobil 1, and it only slightly darkens over 8000kms. Whatever you do, just check your level every other week to see what its doing. Mine will burn off about half a litre of Mobil over 4000kms. Not enough to REQUIRE a top up between changes, but I keep it near the top mark anyway.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Color does not necessarily mean it's bad. Some oils get black within a thousand miles of being in. This doesn't mean the oil has gone bad. I wouldn't use color as a judge for much of anything.

Also, did you mean you changed your oil after only have 3K on the odo or you mean your last OCI (Oil Change Interval) lasted 3K then you changed it?

I only ask cause
1. It'd be bitchin to have only 3-7K on your motor.
2. You shouldnt change the factory fill at 3K.

EDIT: Who told you the oil should always stay a 'golden' color?

What is your oil level like? staying consistant?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Color does not necessarily mean it's bad. Some oils get black within a thousand miles of being in. This doesn't mean the oil has gone bad. I wouldn't use color as a judge for much of anything.

Also, did you mean you changed your oil after only have 3K on the odo or you mean your last OCI (Oil Change Interval) lasted 3K then you changed it?

I only ask cause
1. It'd be bitchin to have only 3-7K on your motor.
2. You shouldnt change the factory fill at 3K.

EDIT: Who told you the oil should always stay a 'golden' color?

What is your oil level like? staying consistant?
yea i did my first oil change at 3k miles and now i have 4k miles. I did 3k miles in 9months so thats why i did the oil change even though i had so little miles. I heard it somewhere that when its a golden its a way of showing that the oil is still good? i dunno where i heard it, i picked it up from someone saying it, i guess it was misinformed. My oil has been pretty constant, for the first 3k miles i put in a quart because it went from the 2nd dot to the middle. Now since this oil change ive been at the top of the 2nd dot.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
yea i did my first oil change at 3k miles and now i have 4k miles. I did 3k miles in 9months so thats why i did the oil change even though i had so little miles. I heard it somewhere that when its a golden its a way of showing that the oil is still good? i dunno where i heard it, i picked it up from someone saying it, i guess it was misinformed. My oil has been pretty constant, for the first 3k miles i put in a quart because it went from the 2nd dot to the middle. Now since this oil change ive been at the top of the 2nd dot.
from what I read its rather normal to consume a little oil during the first OCI. but the space between the 2 dots is ~1qt so if you are in the middle thats ~1/2 qt.

anyway, as long as your not consuming a lot of oil (and honda says 1qt/1,000 miles is 'acceptable' :bsflag: ) you should be OK.

I guess I should say that if your oil is turning black within a very short period of time, you should have an analysis done but blackening of oil is relatively normal.

:thumbsup:

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
from what I read its rather normal to consume a little oil during the first OCI. but the space between the 2 dots is ~1qt so if you are in the middle thats ~1/2 qt.

anyway, as long as your not consuming a lot of oil (and honda says 1qt/1,000 miles is 'acceptable' :bsflag: ) you should be OK.

I guess I should say that if your oil is turning black within a very short period of time, you should have an analysis done but blackening of oil is relatively normal.

My Accord will turn fresh oil BLACK in a couple weeks, lol... I believe the carburetor and the fact that it has 396,000kms on it contribute to that though.

·
pimpin on budget
1,735 Posts

i have no leaks and would not accept 1qt. loss per 1000 miles:thumbsdow

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
i have no leaks and would not accept 1qt. loss per 1000 miles:thumbsdow
Yeah, I wouldnt like it either... I'm under 1qt/ 1000 miles but I still have to check and top off between OCI's :thumbsdow

The only thing keeping me from selling the bitch and cutting my losses is that my old prelude si went to 235K w/a lot of oil consumption and was still running strong when I traded it in....

Either way, mines not drastic and I change the oil often enough to not worry about it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Colour/darkening is not a big deal. Change it if you feel like it. 6000 mi is a good distance to shoot for w/dino oil. With synth, 8000 is as far as I really like to go. Consumption issues require a thicker oil. 10w-40 is better at consumption, 15w-40 is best, but not for use in cold conditons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts