Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Oil works best over a narrow temperature range of 220º to 260º F. Above 285º F motor oil oxidizes and begins to turn to varnish. Below 220º F, oil is too cool to boil off trapped/suspended water and excess fuel. General rule of thumb is that oil temps should be about 50 to 60º F hotter than coolant temperatures.

Be careful, just because the Honda Challenge cars can supposedly run their oil to 300 degrees, doesn't mean it's safe for anyone else to. Keep in mind that their cars probably have fully built race motors and run a straight grade oil, so it can take the abuse. They probably do engine teardowns much more often than a daily driven street car would in its lifetime.

Also, bearings like lower temps. The lower the temps, the longer the engine would last.

Baffled oil pan = :thumbsup:
Bearings and rotating assemblies in the engine are very fragile as they are. Although not the solution to all problems, baffled pans can help reduce the chances of oil starvation by a shitload.
Guess I need to up the viscosity of my oil on my other car if it barely/rarely goes past 200 degrees, oil temp.

I've read oil should be 20-40 over ECT, but this info was hard to find in the first place. Should it really really 50-60 degrees? I don't think my K20A2 sees 240 often at all, it's moreso around 220 +/- 10 degrees on a normal drive.

Makes me wonder why other people's cars run hotter than mine.

·
armchair engine builder
2,484 Posts
Sweet, thanks for that link!

Pencils? I'm getting those temps with K20A2 with an ARC radiator and thermostat.

No idea with K24. And the K24 guys are hating on me in COTM; they wonder why I haven't moved to a K24 bottom with conflicting information on stock oil cooler and oil pan fitment and no information on track reliability.

K20 oil pan fits. You can adapt a k20 oil cooler to a k24 block as well :face:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey what’s up every one in trying to install an oil temp gauge on my car but I haven’t found a lot of information about it.. could anybody point me the right way ? Where do you hook it up ? I know the oil pressure is from the oil pressure switch but I have no idea about the oil temp..I would really appreciate some help... thanks

·
Registered
not very much faster than an FRS
153 Posts
but I haven’t found a lot of information about it..
might want to look on the clubrsx forum, it's been around for a while

Edit: my bad, didn't read your post closely. Not sure if RSX has a usable oil temp sensor, probably need to install your own. You'd likely be best off installing it where the fellow in the diy I linked did

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey what’s up every one in trying to install an oil temp gauge on my car but I haven’t found a lot of information about it.. could anybody point me the right way ? Where do you hook it up ? I know the oil pressure is from the oil pressure switch but I have no idea about the oil temp..I would really appreciate some help... thanks
I get I am late to the party, but I figured I would answer this in more detail so that anyone who stumbles upon this thread with the same question will get a more comprehensive answer. You do not want to hook gauges up to factory sensors. Gauges will come with their own sensors. For oil temp and oil pressure, you can simply buy something like this. It is called an oil plate sandwich adapter, sandwich block, oil filter block, oil cooler block, oil filter sandwich, oil filter adapter, etc. That will have all the ports you will need for both oil temp and oil pressure sensors. However, in an ideal world, you would want to take oil temperature directly from the oil pan. Most aftermarket oil pans will have a sensor bung already in them or you can simply buy a weld on bung and have someone who can weld weld on the bung for you (pretty much all Japanese aftermarket gauges will use the same 1/8 PT thread size and Autometer electric gauges use 1/8 NPT, but confirm your thread size before buying a weld on bung to make sure you order the right one).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts