Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive looked around in the forums and tried to find recomendations for replacement RSX type s oxygen sensors. I havent found any thread that give good or bad reviews and certain brands or locatations to get them. I have found one link to amazon but i think i would be helpfull to get reviews of parts from places like autozone, advance autoparts, napa, and other locations that sell these parts. I will keep doing research and would like for others to chime in.

Thanks in advance and i hope to get my vehicular on the road soon.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Some tech info copied from Hondata...

Narrow band o2 sensors work by the difference in oxygen levels between the exhaust gas and outside air creating a voltage difference across a ZrO2 Nernst cell. They don't require any power to produce an output, and the ECU can just read the voltage from the narrow band sensor.

Wideband o2 sensors add an oxygen pump cell and reference cell with heater to the Nernst cell. A controller regulates the current through the oxygen pump cell and also the heater current. The ECU cannot read a wideband sensor and there must use a wideband controller to run the o2 sensor. The wideband o2 sensor does not produce a voltage, but rather the amount of current through the oxygen cell tells us the AF ratio. The amount of current varies by o2 sensor but some are as low as +- 1mA full scale.

The difficulty is that the wideband controller must be matched to the o2 sensor. The reason is that the amount of cell current and heater current is critical for the life of the o2 sensor. Cold start current regulation is very important and it actually is possible to destroy an o2 sensor in a single cold start. This is why we do not recommend that people wire in anything at all to the o2 sensor wiring. An external AF meter will not read the wideband o2 correctly, and more than likely will consume enough current to throw off the reading drastically. Swapping o2 sensors is equally as hazardous.

To replace the RSX o2 you will need to find an exact equivalent o2 sensor, as the wideband controller electronics is integral with the ECU and cannot be replaced nor altered. The other options would be to run a cheap narrowband o2 sensor, and use the secondary o2 sensor input for closed loop (which you will be able to do for the next KManager release), or to use an external wideband controller which uses a cheaper wideband sensor and feed the analog output from it into the secondary o2 sensor input as above.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There are certain parts that you are better off spending the money on oem parts. I changed mine a few months ago at 142k miles and it was the one that came in the car. Try that with a amazon 02. Just my opinion

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info so far

That is some good info, as a tech myself but on boats info like that is great. I do want to do the oem part for an 02 sensor and i kinda want to just go buy one but more info on this subject of others experiences with o2 sensors will help everyone in the future.

·
Registered
61,559 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That is some good info, as a tech myself but on boats info like that is great. I do want to do the oem part for an 02 sensor and i kinda want to just go buy one but more info on this subject of others experiences with o2 sensors will help everyone in the future.
I 100% agree. My old civic ran fine on an ebay O2 but it wasnt quite as complicated as these cars. Im sure alot of guys run the ones from kseries parts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
234-9005 up stream for info purpose

234-9005 is an up stream o2 sensor and im not sure if it works as a down stream sensor me being me i dont think you can interchange the two sensors, any info to add anyone??

·
Registered
61,559 Posts
1. OP didnt say primary or second.

2. Do you have Kpro? If so you dont need your secondary

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sensor size

i bought a sensor off advanced autos web site i got 20% off by using a code and free shipping to my door, it was a downstream sensor by ngk and it was 200 bucks so far its been working, to reset my light i had to do with the car turned off and it would not let me turn the the cel off while the car was running. The sensor nut size was a 22 mm and i did it with an open ended wrench that fit, but i think the heat sheild wasnt on the pipe, i will let you guys know if the sensor takes a crap or if it stays good we will see if i can get through inspection now.

·
Registered
61,559 Posts
Inb4itshitsoncauseyoushouldntuseanyothersensorthanoemanditoldyouhatyoucouldgetanoemsensorfromamazonfor90bucks

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Ive looked around in the forums and tried to find recomendations for replacement RSX type s oxygen sensors. I havent found any thread that give good or bad reviews and certain brands or locatations to get them. I have found one link to amazon but i think i would be helpfull to get reviews of parts from places like autozone, advance autoparts, napa, and other locations that sell these parts. I will keep doing research and would like for others to chime in.

Thanks in advance and i hope to get my vehicular on the road soon.
All the brands you listed or places you listed to get one sell shotty O2 sensors if you ask me. If you want good ones get denso. They will actually work. I have gotten amazon ones before. It didn't even work. Tried a denso O2 sensor and sure enough it worked. Here are the ones I recommend.

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/DEN-234-9005.html
http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/DEN-234-4354.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
above post is good

See thats a good price for a oem sensor thanks for the links even though i already have my part installed and working. Those links should help others in this process.

·
MECP Installer
496 Posts
I have gotten amazon ones before. It didn't even work.
Amazon, just like eBay, is a marketplace. They don't make or stock products, they simply help vendors sell. You can find Denso sensors on amazon all day, many times for better prices too. No reason to discourage people from shopping there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.