Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the bottle powershifting:

Anyone do it? My preferred method of drag racing is with the powershift technique (ie not letting off of the gas when shifting).

I see this as advantageous in two ways: 1) quicker shifting, and 2) when shifting before the rev limiter, it assures that you'll always fall into the power range should, for some reason, your shifts take a tad longer.

I don't see any harm in doing this on a supercharged or N/A application (definitely could see some nasty boost spikes on a turbo car), but haven't really explored the possibility of doing it on a nitrous equipped vehicle. If I have a 7900 rpm pill, and I powershift, the system SHOULD stop spraying while I shift (note: while you shouldn't sit and bang off the rev limiter, remember that it is there for a reason, and bumping it isn't going to hurt your car any moreso than redlining it would -- That being said, I tend to shift fast enough that I never hear or see my car bouncing off of the rev limiter when powershifting), and if I also have a 5000 rpm pill equipped, when I disengage the clutch and hit 5500 rpm in the next gear, it should start spraying again.

I am always looking to further my knowledge, so if I'm missing something, PLEASE someone tell me. Otherwise -- Any experience?

·
JLA Bitches!
14,394 Posts
Powershifting with n2o is a big NONO! While a pill may save you when you hit the rev limiter, you should really see how fast your rpms jump on n2o. In less than a split second, if you are in neutral spraying, it will definitely hit the rev limit. Do you really trust a pill to stop it in time? While it may be possible, it's really not necessary. Remember, chirping and spinning the tires in between gears means only one thing: Loss of traction. Loss of traction = slower. If your tires aren't gripping, you aren't going as fast as you really can.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alpha Zero said:
Powershifting with n2o is a big NONO! While a pill may save you when you hit the rev limiter, you should really see how fast your rpms jump on n2o. In less than a split second, if you are in neutral spraying, it will definitely hit the rev limit. Do you really trust a pill to stop it in time? While it may be possible, it's really not necessary. Remember, chirping and spinning the tires in between gears means only one thing: Loss of traction. Loss of traction = slower. If your tires aren't gripping, you aren't going as fast as you really can.
I'm not talking about chirping, nor did I say anything about it. Fact is, you can shift faster with the powershifting technique. Chirping the tires is more a sign of you being in need of more tire, and not indicative of power output at all. I used to chirp 5th in my ITR with an ACT clutch at 40 mph. Doesn't mean jack, IMO.

Do I trust a pill to stop it? Well, if its electronic, it's going to be a lot faster than any human reaction time. And hitting the rev limiter isn't really a big deal if you're in neutral. Like I said . . . that's what it's there for. To limit revs and prevent harm.

Just the 13.1 part is BS :)

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Ehm.. *cough* Hi Silock. WTF are you doing man? I wouldn't power shift until you AT LEAST become accustomed to the RPM off-switch. I'd personally be hesitant to powershift in 1st.. (read: scared) :nervous:

Alright, that being said let's wish him luck. I hear-tell code will be running 100 shot, which is hardcore as well.

So now we have powershifters, 100 shooters, and Alpha here who is planning some top secret ueber injection.. :)

I love this place.

Az

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Alpha Zero said:

It will be NOS and it will be direct port. Diffence from you is that the car will still look stock. :thumbsup:
Yeah, and be 5 more horsepower and easier to install. You fargin' bastage. I might have to go get 100 horse power nozzles.. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.