Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Must...stop...modding!!
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I was about to buy a 5Zigen fireball, but the price jumped on me suddenly @ modacar, and come to think of it, I am pretty tired of cops harassing me, so I was thinking....would the stock muffler welded up to 2.5 inch piping do me any good? From what I have heard, the stock muffler isnt where MOST of the restriction is in the exhaust system...so if i got some 2.5 inch piping which allowed more flow....and welded up the stock muffler, I could retain my stock look, (although i dont think it will sound stock, but I am guessing that it wouldnt be THAT loud) and the sacrifice of ponies wouldnt be that great. Dont get me wrong, I love a great sounding exhaust, but Im tired of having to watch my ass and shift at 2.5K whenever a cop is within a 4 car radius of me. So what do you guys think? Does it sound like a good idea? Would a really lose that much power with a stock muffler mated to the 2.5 inch piping? Anyone tried this and have anything to say about it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm currently running the Magnaflow piping (2.25") with the stock exhaust. I love it. Lots of low-end torque, and sounds just like stock.

As part of my quest of trying different things with my exhaust setup, I removed the magnaflow resonator (which has a 2" inner diameter aprox.). The car felt so slow (magnaflow/no resonator/stock muffler) and sounded horrible, so I went back the next day to de mufflershop and welded back the resonator.

Do not go for a 2.5", thats too much for a n/a car. Go 2.25" all the way to the stock muffler (including a 2.25" (inner diameter) resonator of course).

If you plan to boost, then you can maybe try the 2.5" piping, but use a 2.25" resonator until you boost your car.

I measured a loss of 1 hp by replacing the magnaflow muffer with the stock one. However this was done using a PDA Dyno, so it may not be that accurate at all.

I would really go for the custom 2.25" piping, 2.25" resonator and stock exhaust. However make sure to find a good muffler shop and that they keep the 2.25" diameter through all the piping (some thime when they bend the piping, the inner diameter is reduced by a couple of mm)

·
Registered
575 Posts
there's is a website that sell custom made piping for our cars for $200.00. I can't remember the website... anyone knows the website address?

·
Must...stop...modding!!
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like a good idea then...however, I want 2.5 inch piping to free up some flow for my comptech race header. Try and see if you can post up a sound clip of your exhaust.....it HAS to be a little louder than stock? See if you can pull up that website too, it would help a lot. Did you also have to modify the stock muffler in anyway so the custom piping could fit? What I planned on doing was going with custom 2.5 inch piping, and I wasnt sure what kind of resonator to use. I was originally planning on using the stock one but can you recommend any other kind, say like a custom 2.5 inch resonator? Thanks a lot....peace!

·
Registered
487 Posts
2.5" is not too big for an N/A car. Also, if you're boosting--you're probably going to want to run 3". 60mm or the larger 2.5" is fine for our cars.

·
Banned
178 Posts
Some-1 said:
I'm currently running the Magnaflow piping (2.25") with the stock exhaust. I love it. Lots of low-end torque, and sounds just like stock.

As part of my quest of trying different things with my exhaust setup, I removed the magnaflow resonator (which has a 2" inner diameter aprox.). The car felt so slow (magnaflow/no resonator/stock muffler) and sounded horrible, so I went back the next day to de mufflershop and welded back the resonator.

Do not go for a 2.5", thats too much for a n/a car. Go 2.25" all the way to the stock muffler (including a 2.25" (inner diameter) resonator of course).

If you plan to boost, then you can maybe try the 2.5" piping, but use a 2.25" resonator until you boost your car.

I measured a loss of 1 hp by replacing the magnaflow muffer with the stock one. However this was done using a PDA Dyno, so it may not be that accurate at all.

I would really go for the custom 2.25" piping, 2.25" resonator and stock exhaust. However make sure to find a good muffler shop and that they keep the 2.25" diameter through all the piping (some thime when they bend the piping, the inner diameter is reduced by a couple of mm)
so ur using ur magnaflow piping and magnaflow resinator with your stock muffler right?

·
Registered
575 Posts
-Try and see if you can post up a sound clip of your exhaust.....
I'll will record some audio tonight

-it HAS to be a little louder than stock?
A bit when you step on the gas, but at idle is almost the same

-See if you can pull up that website too, it would help a lot.
I've been trying... haven't find it.

-Did you also have to modify the stock muffler in anyway so the custom piping could fit?
I modified the stock muffler to fit the magnaflow exhaust (no need to bent or modify the muffler piping, just the part where the bolts go.)

-I was originally planning on using the stock one but can you recommend any other kind, say like a custom 2.5 inch resonator?
I'm looking for a 2.25 resonator but I haven't had any luck. I want to replace the magnaflow resonator (2" or less inner diameter).

By the way, I went yesterday to the track to test the magnaflow+stock exhaust, and I got the same numbers as I did with the full stock catback.

·
Registered
575 Posts
it could be due to diferent track conditions, but just to make sure, I will try next week the the magnaflow muffler to see what happens.

·
Must...stop...modding!!
3,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump....anyone know where i can find that custom piping?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts