Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question, will the mugen ecu work with octane 91? we have octane 94 here in calgary, but when travelling some places may not have 94.

Thanks
Le

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Azncowboy said:
just a quick question, will the mugen ecu work with octane 91? we have octane 94 here in calgary, but when travelling some places may not have 94.

Thanks
Le
I'd run 94 as long as you can. If you have to run 91 at least have half a tank of 94 in there to help bring the octane rating up. I've always run my Mugen ECU on 93, and I've had no problems. Supposedly, in California some people had problems with it on 91.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Azncowboy said:
cool cool, would octane booster help if a station only had 91 or 92?
my understanding is octane booster is useless. Your better off buying a 5 gallon drum of like 103 unleaded and mixing it when you can't get 94.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Azncowboy said:
cool cool, would octane booster help if a station only had 91 or 92?
One of my cousins runs high octane on his bike and he say that the booster only works if you use the gas right then otherwise the octane filters out of the gas. at least that's what he understands of it. I trust his judgement, he has at least six dirt bike and is perhaps starting a business around bikes.

That being said, I also had a friend that owned an old camaro in which he would use the booster and he had no problems, but he didn't use it alot.

I think the old type R's here in the states took 94 or at least I think that's what I read when I was looking in to them.

I don't think you'll have any problems, just don't hot-rod on 91 octane if you do get it.

I used the word hot-rod because the guy at the firestone place told me that some tires he was trying to sell me would last 40,000 mile if I didn't hot-rod it. I got my tires off of tirerack.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
stupid question but where I can find out more about the Mugen ECU ?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i emailed king motorsports.
also talked to a few guys who have had it. Very helpful peepz

it was either hondata flash 4 or mugen ecu. I felt that i would be happier with the ecu.

Also thinking while driving i can just hook up my old ecu while traveling and use the mugen for special track days and stuff when higher octane is avaiable.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Acuraivtec said:
stupid question but where I can find out more about the Mugen ECU ?
if you do a quick search i've made a few big threads on it with lots of info.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm curious as to why you've ruled out the K-Pro. From swwifty's and other's previous threads, I know the Mugen ECU makes good power but I believe a programmable system to be superior to any pre-programmed system. I can understand if you just want to plug'nplay. Have you considered the K-Pro--it's actually cheaper than the Mugen and you can run multiple programs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
dc5 said:
I still can't believe why people still buy Mugen ECU or any other piggy back system with K-Pro is out!But it's their $$$ :)
Some people like the plug and play systems, myself included. Nice choice on the ECU, Im going that route as well!

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
If someone was getting the K-Pro, to use basemaps why wouldn't they just get a reflash? You have to add on dyno time as well for the K-Pro. It ain't gonna be cheap.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
with kpro it is 1475 after tax here in canada where as the n1 ecu is around 1600 and it's a full replacement ecu. also like swwifty said there arent that many people who know how to tune it...u pay the time for tuning. and it'll end up costing more in the end. thats why i didn't go with k-pro.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Yes, you are right just Hondata #4 flash would make more sense but I am just saying if he ever decided to get tune in the future - he would have that capablity already if he just buys the K-PRO upgrade right now instead of sending/waiting for ecu.

It's his $$$, whatever he decides is cool

1 - 17 of 17 Posts