Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i'm set to boost at 5psi, but recently i noticed that my boost gauge said i was boosting at 7-8psi. Is this signs that something is going wrong??? Just to add, i have the Greddy Profec B boost controller, but since my minimum boosting is 5psi, i keep it off. Why am i overboosting, what do you think caused it and is this bad???

·
Registered
281 Posts
what kinda climate r u in? Cold weather can make boost spikes, make sure u r running rich . If u have to turn down the boost a little bit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
explain the action of the gauges because u could have boost creep..if u know how its acting you can get a better evaluation..is it going to 8psi and then slowing dropping back to 5psi? or is it more like goes up to 6...7..8..9..and sticks

·
Registered
63 Posts
oh, our turbo accord go up by 2 psi exactly, during summer it's been doing 6psi peak and when winter hit, it now peaks at 8psi at night.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, here's the full story with conditions. My car was tunned rich in florida at 5psi. Everything was great. Got into an accident that damaged the radiator, condensor, an the intercooler, and cut some transmisson lines, but the engine is good. It was repaired fine. Driving almost a month later i noticed that instead of my wastegate starting to make its regular noises at 3000rpms, it would start at about 5000rpms. The boost gauge would go from its vaccum of -10 to 0 at 3k, and start to boost at 5k. This only happens sometimes, other times it will start to boost at about 3k and things are cool. Now today, on a low-moderate incline with the temperature at 25F, im in 5th gear slowly increasing speed and throttle, then i gave it 100% throttle and noticed the boost guage read 9psi. Unlike STREETRAYS accord, i went up 4psi. it went 5.6.7.8.9 and held. While i'm boosting i'm rich, to be safe i guess, but crusing at these temps i was all over the place stoich.

SO THE BIG QUESTION IS WHAT COULD BE GOING ON????

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you are overboosting , do not push your car!!!!Scince you got your car tuned to a warm climate , it is bound to react diferently to cold air. The smallest thing can efect how your car runs. You should get your car retuned inthe colder air , if thats not the prob maybe its your wastegate.

·
Registered
419 Posts
well thats boost creep..what type of wastegate do you have? do you know how many psi its supposed to be able to hold? what noise are you talking about from the wastegate? that dragging kind of noise? or is it knocking a pinging? and you should watch your gauges while you drive until you get your car tuned..make sure IF you choose to boost while your car is like this you dont go into the red and stay or even a few seconds..if it hops around thats okay and thats most likely to happen in the higher gears..you sure nothing else was damaged? if your creeping it means theres too much exhaust flow for the wastegate to bypass

1 - 8 of 8 Posts