Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
iT's ThE vTeC mAfIa Yo!
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i was screwin around and hit 2nd instead of 4th at 8k. i caugh it before i let the clutch all the way out but it managed o hit about 9500. i put it in neutral and pulled off the road. sat at idle for like 5 mins,no bad noises, no smells, no lights, no nothing. then i popped the hood with it idling and again no change in sound from any other time ive had the hood open, or new sounds, just the typical honda noises you kno. no leaks or anything either. shut it off and let it sit for like 10 to cool. opened up the oil filler and again no bad smell or nothin. started back up right away with no new noises. pulled onto the road and everything was cool. wen through all gears at various rpm, again same old same old. then went into vtec to 8k and it ran fine. he drive homoe was about 10 mins from there and no lights or nothin seems he same as it did before. im gonna let it cool off for a while then take it out again. he only thing i think i hurt is the clutch, its stock, and i didnt let it all the way out and i smelled a little clutch when it happened. it seems like it enganges slightly clser to the flor, mabe its just me being paranoid.

my question is im no having any symptoms of anything at all, so wat should i do. i was just gonna watch it over the next few days and see if anything changes or my gas miileag egoes down alot. I was worried before but then it seems fine so im not really now, just wanted to see what you think. also, if i would hav efloated a valve or something wouldnt i have heaqrd it and wouldnt my cqr run shitty?

·
Registered
278 Posts
you can get a compression/leakdown test if you are really paranoid, or try the paper trick and put it behind your exhaust pipe and see if it will blow the paper, not sure if that works but its supposed to check the compression some what. No CEL's and runs strong i wouldnt worry about it, happened to my car, still running strongs with not one problem for 10 k miles

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The way you describe things you're probably fine, especially if you didn't release the clutch 100% and slammed it back down asap. The newbs that blow their motors usually are the ones that don't realize they're in the wrong gear until their car is spewing oil onto the road.

Plus keep in mind that the tach is a little innacurate when the engine speed increases quickly, so you might not have revved as high as you think.

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
You should be fine, I mis shifted 6 months ago at 10,500 rpms and my car runs perfectly

What you'll need to do is get a compression test, if that checks out then I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, you can do the dollar bill trick, personally, I think it is stupid and doesn't work, but you take a dollar bill, or any bill, and place it up to your exhaust while your engine is idling, if the bill is sucked in, you have bent valves. :dontknow:

Like I said, do a compression test and if its good, then go party :w00t:

Also, I would change the oil :dontknow: and go to AutoZone or any auto parts store and have them clear the CEL code that is secretly on, it'll be an Engine OverSpeed code and it only flashes when you over rev and does not stay on.

Also, here is my mis shift thread if it'll help you in any way
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=443512&highlight=WTFBBQ+Sauce:

·
iT's ThE vTeC mAfIa Yo!
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys im gonna hook it up to my buddies scanner tomorrow and see if i have th overrev cade. I think the fact i didnt let the clutch al the way out, (3/4) saved my motor, however, my clutch is unhappy. but itll get me by till i get a clutch this summer. so..., i dunno, after i let it cool, i took it out again and it ran perfect, plenty of power, so... :)

·
DC5 Turbo
166 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.