Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm close to 8K in third about to shift to 4th and my dumb ass grabs 2nd by accident (yeah I know, I suck). Luckily I got the clutch pedal back down before I blew my motor. The car drove fine until I got off the freeway. 1st and 2nd gear bogged at low RPMs (usually anything lower than 3K) but drove fine otherwise. I came home. Reset the ECU. Went for a drive. Car still hesitating. Right before I got home, the CEL came on then started blinking. Reset the ECU again and the CEL still blinks. Any ideas fellas??? I am bringing it in tomorrow for a compression test. Yay!

Cliff Notes:
Missed 4th, grabbed 2nd
OverRevved to 10K but i didn't release the clutch fully
Car drove fine except for hesitation at low revs then CEL came on

·
RSX-S Owner
697 Posts
Get the code pulled dont drive it till you know its all good. If there's anything out of the ordinary after that, its a sign that something got messed up.

·
Digging.
1,627 Posts
i did this once when i was learning stick, i was being a moron trying to race a GTI at 3 AM on the highway with 4 people in my car.

nothing happend to mine i dont think, no CEL pulls the same, but mine didnt fully grab 2nd. it ground once i released the clutch, and it was between 2nd and 4th.

·
Power of Dreams
3,036 Posts
Good luck, I once registered 11147 or 11347 on the A'pexi RSM when I did the same thing. Nothing at all happened to my motor except it scream, "WTF ARE YOU DOING TO ME?!?!?!"

·
Rotary Trooper
542 Posts
flashing cel usually means missfire. It will flash during the missfire then stay on solid when the misfire has stopped. If yours is continuously flashing You prolly bent at least one or more valves...

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
see i dont get it. How come sometimes nothing happens ?
because sometimes damage is caused, and sometimes its not.

i did this twice in my mustang, once racing a corvette in the middle of newmexico, i was staring at his car wondering why he wasnt raping me, and i pulled it to 2nd instead of 4th - no damage, car shuddered when it was grabbing the gear but i popped the clutch back in before it fully engaged.

second time it was the middle of the night i was tired and pissed off and a lightening truck wanted to play. i dropped it into second to get the jump but was rolling just a little too fast, it overrevved and there was a slight ticking after. i would up flooring it through 1st 2nd and 3rd and it fixed whatever was ticking, didnt have any problems after that.

ford FTW, fuckers.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
****UPDATE****

Had my mechanic look at it yesterday. Just by listening he knew bent valves.
Had compression check done...nothing in first cylinder; 2,3,4 are good though
Car is sluggish between idle and 2,500 rpms.
CEL is either blinking or just on.
I was told that it's okay to drive on except gas mileage will suffer.
Anyone have any more input?

Thanks guys

·
Jimbo's Cowering Employee
4,131 Posts
Drive it SUPER nice until you can get it fixed.

·
Got Polish?
7,858 Posts
****UPDATE****

Thanks guys
what bent valves and its okay to drive? no compression in cylinder 1 . Dude go to a real mechanic.

·
[email protected]~13psi on Alcohol
1,531 Posts
****UPDATE****

Thanks guys
wow

1. get a new mechanic!
2. what exactly were cyl 2,3,4 compression? 'good' is a little vague

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well when I cranked the motor for the first cylinder, it just made a horrible noise and didn't register anything. 2,3,4 are all around 175.

·
I can drive up your rsx
29,088 Posts
Don't drive the car until it gets fixed.

If you do you are bound to cause more damange.

·
61 ci now
3,336 Posts
yeah who knows whats going on inside the cylinder, could be a bunch of metal fragments floating in there ruining the cylinder wall. The motor might be 'ok' if you get it pulled apart.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts