Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed my oil on my own for the first time over the weekend. I filled 5.0qt, dip stick wasn't quite full so I added another .3qt to bring it closer to the top mark (now reads almost exactly at the top dot). After adding the additional .3 I felt like the car was running more quietly/softly than usual but might have been imagining it.

Did a few short trips in the car, no issues. Drove on a ~40m highway trip, when I started it and started driving again the CEL came on. I pulled the code and it is P0134: O2 Sensor circuit no activity detected. I think this is the code for Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor going bad IIRC.

Questions:
1. Is it possible an oil overfill would cause this? Does not look like I overfilled from the dip stick but did seem weird to fill 5.3qt instead of 5.0.
2. Or maybe something else is going on (oil filter loose, spilled oil near the filter? Seems unlikely given that I didn't see much there besides CV boot.
3. If neither of the above, is it just a matter of replacing the O2 sensor?

Thanks!

·
Waifu Deluxe
795 Posts
Yup, totally not related to your oil change unless you happened to hit some loose wires while you were under the car.

You can either A) Just buy a new sensor. or B) Diagnose it first, check the wires and connectors etc to make sure it's not something like that. I have a connector that was mangled by a semi-retread and luckily I checked first before buying a new one. Just had to push the pins back in a bit on my harness extender. The primary sensor for the Type S isn't cheap either. Not expensive... just a lot for what it is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, totally not related to your oil change unless you happened to hit some loose wires while you were under the car.

You can either A) Just buy a new sensor. or B) Diagnose it first, check the wires and connectors etc to make sure it's not something like that. I have a connector that was mangled by a semi-retread and luckily I checked first before buying a new one. Just had to push the pins back in a bit on my harness extender. The primary sensor for the Type S isn't cheap either. Not expensive... just a lot for what it is.

Good luck!
Good call on diagnosing first. I was messing around near the front sway bar with a torque wrench trying to get the filter torqued to spec, so may have knocked a wire loose (long shot but worth checking). Will do.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sounds like you hit the wires by the sensor. It's rarely an O2 sensor even though everyone changes it and then complains it didn't help and then they hate on their car.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you hit the wires by the sensor. It's rarely an O2 sensor even though everyone changes it and then complains it didn't help and then they hate on their car.
Yeah I checked my service receipts and primary o2 was replaced for the same trouble code less than 2 years ago (I think with denso), so does seem suspiciously early to fail again. will check!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
They can go but as an old fart here with a million miles on a handful of cars, I've never replaced an 02. Header leak, intake leak or anything else that caused the parameter of O2 function to turn the light on can be the cause. They can get lazy, but normal gas mileage is a key indicator that it's working as the O2 adjusts fuel trim in the ECU to keep the Air Fuel ratio in the right area. If it fails you get a very rich condition. So check the pug really well. One other way to troubleshoot is to unplug the sensor--if it gets bad then you know it's working.

·
Waifu Deluxe
795 Posts
They can go but as an old fart here with a million miles on a handful of cars, I've never replaced an 02. Header leak, intake leak or anything else that caused the parameter of O2 function to turn the light on can be the cause. They can get lazy, but normal gas mileage is a key indicator that it's working as the O2 adjusts fuel trim in the ECU to keep the Air Fuel ratio in the right area. If it fails you get a very rich condition. So check the pug really well. One other way to troubleshoot is to unplug the sensor--if it gets bad then you know it's working.
For what it's worth I've replaced mine twice lol. I think one time was physical damage though. That code would be because it's not getting proper voltages so it's likely that or for some other reason the o2 isn't seeing a change in levels as the engine is on. Service manual should be able to walk through diagnosing it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I drove a saturn to 414k miles and it was down to a quart in less than 500 miles as I didn't change the oil and used old oil change oil to top it off. I even ran ATF and straight 50w oil--whatever the recycling center had for free. Even then it didn't kill the O2. I drive a lot and just kept burning Saturns up and saving my RSX for fun. Most start burning oil at 200K as the oil control rings get clogged. For 700$, and 37mpg, it matters little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I changed my oil on my own for the first time over the weekend. I filled 5.0qt, dip stick wasn't quite full so I added another .3qt to bring it closer to the top mark (now reads almost exactly at the top dot). After adding the additional .3 I felt like the car was running more quietly/softly than usual but might have been imagining it.

Did a few short trips in the car, no issues. Drove on a ~40m highway trip, when I started it and started driving again the CEL came on. I pulled the code and it is P0134: O2 Sensor circuit no activity detected. I think this is the code for Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor going bad IIRC.

Questions:
1. Is it possible an oil overfill would cause this? Does not look like I overfilled from the dip stick but did seem weird to fill 5.3qt instead of 5.0.
2. Or maybe something else is going on (oil filter loose, spilled oil near the filter? Seems unlikely given that I didn't see much there besides CV boot.
3. If neither of the above, is it just a matter of replacing the O2 sensor?

Thanks!
Was the car level when you checked the oil? Not that the issues that your having was caused by oil overflow but just checking. I think replace the sensor.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re further questions; yes the car was level.

I actually found that the gas cap was a bit loose. Cranked it down, reset the code, and (thus far) it hasn't come back, about 50-100 miles on the car since then. I think it might have just been the gas cap but still too soon to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts