Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
O.G. '02 RSX-S
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the MSC this past weekend and passed. I got a 50/50 on the written portion, and with the riding tests, I had an 8 point reduction. If you had 16 points reduction, you fail the riding portion. There were actually 2 retesters in our group that failed last week, and one got a 13 point, and the other an 11 point reduction...

So they offer a free road course that goes through highways, city streets and a neighborhood street that avoids this crazy dog they know of. I am going to sign up for that. First off I need to order my Shoei helmet, then pick out some gloves and a jacket. I already have the Joe Rocket meteor boots.

Still thinking if an R6 is overkill for a first bike, and if a governor can be put on it to reduce the amount of RPMs it can rev to while learning...

·
Retired OG
100,341 Posts
So I took the MSC this past weekend and passed. I got a 50/50 on the written portion, and with the riding tests, I had an 8 point reduction. If you had 16 points reduction, you fail the riding portion. There were actually 2 retesters in our group that failed last week, and one got a 13 point, and the other an 11 point reduction...

So they offer a free road course that goes through highways, city streets and a neighborhood street that avoids this crazy dog they know of. I am going to sign up for that. First off I need to order my Shoei helmet, then pick out some gloves and a jacket. I already have the Joe Rocket meteor boots.

Still thinking if an R6 is overkill for a first bike, and if a governor can be put on it to reduce the amount of RPMs it can rev to while learning...
Congrats on the course.

I wouldn't get an R6 for a first bike, but thats just me. I have never heard of a limiter for bikes.

I would get a 500 ninja or something for your first bike. A 250 is often to small and slow for people, but a 500 would be a great beginners bike.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Any 600 really is overkill for a first bike.

If you're too embarassed to get a 250 or a 500 because your ego won't allow for it, then check into the sv650 (naked or s version), the ninja 650r, or a gs500f.

·
O.G. '02 RSX-S
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you're too embarassed to get a 250 or a 500 because your ego won't allow for it, then check into the sv650 (naked or s version), the ninja 650r, or a gs500f.
Oh, so the R6s would be a more toned down version of the regular R6? Only differences I could tell was ride height, 1 cc difference, and larger exhaust pipe.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
Oh, so the R6s would be a more toned down version of the regular R6? Only differences I could tell was ride height, 1 cc difference, and larger exhaust pipe.
lol I didn't even mention the r6s in the post. Looks like your mind is already made up.

the r6s was the supersport r6 in 2003-2004, completely same specs except for some odds and ends, but for the most part it still is a supersport. Regular telescopic forks, non-radila mounted brakes, "standard" looking exhaust, etc. Frame is completely different. Engine is still typical Yamaha, weird dip in power in the middle of the power band where you basically spend most of the time anyways. Notchy on/off throttle response. Peaky power made past 12k or whatever it is.

but it looks cool and for the most part that's all that matters lol.

·
7,587 Posts
i dont see why people are so hell bent in avoiding 600's as first bikes..

if you think you can handle it and have the personal restraint to avoid doing something stupid, i think you'll be fine.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
i dont see why people are so hell bent in avoiding 600's as first bikes..

if you think you can handle it and have the personal restraint to avoid doing something stupid, i think you'll be fine.
But that's the thing. While the rider can be in complete control of what he does, he can't control the environment. Gravel, stupid cars, idiots on the road, a number of things can happen that a rider can not directly impact w/skill alone.

Now the argument to that is, well if that's the case, why start on a 250 when you are gonna get hit anyways or something. On a smaller bike, you leave yourself more room for error against environmental factors like those above. You can't say to anyone else that it is NOT easier to control when you have a lighter, lower powered bike in a more natural, upright position to get yourself out of harms way. Not to mention in lower speed situations where most go-downs to happen, it is easier to learn and hone your skills on a lower powered machine. Why is it that statisically, those that learn to ride in the dirt have better chances of not going down when going to the street? Because a dirt rider has learned to make the slower speed maneuvers. You're never going THAT fast on a dirt bike.

It is easy to ride in a straight line and heck, make turns. What potential riders need to realize is that the scary situations are the lower speed situations, and that's where a lower powered, lighter bike fits the bill.

I'm past the point where my life mission is to make everyone start of on a 250/500. If a rider has made a choice, its made. But the fact of the matter is that lower speed, traffic maneuvers are learned easier on smaller bikes, and that's where it counts.

·
Acura 3.2TL
3,836 Posts

Sad you guys don't get the Kawi ZZR250 that we get. It's quite fast, nimble and very good looking. Your Ninja 250 is fast too, the more exp riders can get a lot of speed out them.

·
O.G. '02 RSX-S
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my friends told me I should get a cruiser and will regret getting a sport bike, due to the fact that when crusing around slow, I'll miss the torque. That sounds great to me knowing there won't be much power in lower RPMs.

PS, found an 06 R6 w/ 3k miles for $6,800. They are out there....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts