Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is one of the strangest things that ever happend to me with a car,

I have about 4 - 5 spots which are a couple of inches wide (each) on my hood. Its clearly dirt and you will not see it unless you come up close to the car and really look at the hood. These dirt spots are not too dark and are impossible to wash off, I tried car wash, even windex with ammonia, and the spots are still there. It seems that this dirt has somehow been absorbed into the paint. The car is white and knowing you have these spots really bothers you. I'll try to get pics soon although I dont know if you'll be able to see it in a photograph. Any advice is appreciated, maybe a certain cleaner...? I don't know what else to try. :dontknow:

Thanks again
-Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st, dont ever ever use windex on ur car again..

2nd use a paint cleaner (usually the 1st step in a waxing system)
lol dude i couldnt think of anything else i said screw it tried everything already.

and after i wash the car i use windex on dirt that gets stuck on sideskirts.....windex is fine.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Ok this is one of the strangest things that ever happend to me with a car,

I have about 4 - 5 spots which are a couple of inches wide (each) on my hood. Its clearly dirt and you will not see it unless you come up close to the car and really look at the hood. These dirt spots are not too dark and are impossible to wash off, I tried car wash, even windex with ammonia, and the spots are still there. It seems that this dirt has somehow been absorbed into the paint. The car is white and knowing you have these spots really bothers you. I'll try to get pics soon although I dont know if you'll be able to see it in a photograph. Any advice is appreciated, maybe a certain cleaner...? I don't know what else to try. :dontknow:

Thanks again
-Mike
Have you tried a claybar :confused:

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
it might not be dirt, it could be small rust spots. i remember my accord having lil brown spots, i think i read somewhere that it could be 'rust'. i never bothered claybarring to see if it would take it off, but i imagine it would. they were very tiny... i remember asking the same question as to wtf it was and how i could get it off. i suggest clay bar first and seeing if that takes it off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it might not be dirt, it could be small rust spots. i remember my accord having lil brown spots, i think i read somewhere that it could be 'rust'. i never bothered claybarring to see if it would take it off, but i imagine it would. they were very tiny... i remember asking the same question as to wtf it was and how i could get it off. i suggest clay bar first and seeing if that takes it off.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find one somewhere. +rep

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
just try your local auto shop, i dont know what you guys have in the states. lol, pep boys? haha.

if you can, just get the clay... because the 'detailing spray' isn't all that necessary. you can use soap+water as an alternative, which will save you money in the end. let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
how does ammonia have anything to do w/ paint. there are harsher chemicals that are used on paint. tint/paint are two different surfaces we're talking about. unless you got proof. i never heard such a thing. of course, i dont go around spraying windex on my car paint but still would like to know more about this.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i have the same exact thing on my 02. grayish specs and spots on my fender and bumper. It looks like residue that got absorbed in the paint. Cant clean it off with car wash. The specs and spots does look like it came from a splash. Since you are also in NYC, maybe its something on the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts