Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if this is just me, but I am collecting some nice chips in my paint around my hood and front bumper, I dont drive over 75mph, and I dont live in an area where little rocks rome the streets, what the hell ????
Do you guys think I should be able to take the car to my dealer and have it fixed, little have the little scratches removed ???
I am pissed because no one will notice it, but I do!
there is about 4 little chips in the hood now, my car is not even a month old yet !
could there be a problem with the painting of these cars ?

Is my clearcoat gone ? I washed my car two days after I got it, and someone said I took the clearcoat off, and thats why it is chipping, is this true? what the hell is the clearcoat ? isnt that a wax ? if it isnt , how could washing it make it come off ?

Abel

P.s. HELP!!!!

P.s. I also waxed the car two days after I got it with Meguires Gold Class , Clear Coat Liquid Car Wax, help me please !

·
Registered
44 Posts
It sounds to me like you don't know much about a car's paint.

First of all, I am sure your car has a clearcoat on your paint, in fact all cars manufactured nowadays have clearcoat, I don't know of any new car manufacturer that doesn't put a clearcoat on top of the paint finish. I think a clearcoat is a think layer of clear acrylic, which is very hard to protect the paint, but it is still pretty thick compare to your car's paint that is under the clearcoat. Waxes are something that your put on yourself to give extra protection to the clearcoat. There are 2 types of waxes, Carnauba or Synthetic wax, and they last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months depending on your climate.

Also, it is not possible to wash off the clearcoat of your car using regular car washs, you need to wet sand it to get rid of it.

Getting back to your question about paint chips. Every car has paint chips, and it is impossible to avoid them, unless you store your car away. However, you can minimize it by avoid driving on highways or get a front mask for your car to reduce chips, but I think it looks ugly. Even with the best wax protection, you will still have chips. As for repairing them, if they are down to the metal of the car, then you should use touch up paint to fix it up, if it's not too deep, I suggest you leave it because the touch up paint will make it look worst. If you take it back to the dealers, the will probably use touch up paint to fix them up for you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Crazy MoFo Abel...

Didn't you used to be on DTMPower.net? Haha, I sold my BMW too and bought a Type-S

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sometimes I think it's because of driving behavior that causes the chip, if you're driving fast and you're following another car too close, then there's a better chance that you'll get about anything to kick up from the car in front of you.

Anyway I was rushing to somewhere today and my hood finally got one bad chip. The paint is completely gone and it shows the metal beneath. Does anyone know if there's any other way to fix this up besides using touch up paint? May be Zaino? or Meguire? Suggestions? TIA

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can see the metal then no scratch remover will help you. I suggest you get the dealer to take care of that one to prevent rust. At least wax it for now if you can't get it fixed right away to keep water from causing rust or any other damage. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts