Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
i love beer
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago my fender was dented in, I'm trying to fix it and re-paint it but its not looking that great. We got the dent out and we painting it and now we are starting to buff. The area were the dent actually appended is dark black but around the dent the color is starting to turn white, and it is becoming lighter than the color of the car. Should I keep buffing or add more paint?

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Water sand across the transition lines a bit and then buff to see if you can get it to blend better.

Frankly, it looks like you just painted the dent area, those look like masking lines. A spot repair can be hard to blend.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
yeah, it's gonna be very hard to do.

Are you good at auto painting?

Where in Ohio are you located? I could maybe recommend a couple of body shops that could do it and do it right for a fair price :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
even if you do the whole fender it may not match the door or whatever the bordering panels are. IMO it's best to blend which means leaving it up to the pros. :thumbsup:

I did some painting with my dad on my old old prelude (fixed rust) and it turned out pretty damn good except it needed to be blended. After 170K + miles the stock paint had lost the luster that the new paint had. You could tell in certain lights.

We also painted his entire accord (to fix rust and just for S&G's) That turned out OK... White was hard to do....

Needless to say, I doubt I'd ever tackle it again unless I was bored and wanted to just expirament with a lip kit or something...

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
no no no, say no to maaco. Like I said, tell me where in Ohio you are and I may be able to point you in the right direction :thumbsup:
I worked there / maybe going back to work there. For the most part Maaco people are pretty cool. But even their best top of the line paint job (>$1500) is only mediocre compared to real paint shops.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Shouldn't spot paint. It never works out right. You should just do the whole fender over
Spot paints can end up being very hard to spot, but it takes a good amount of knowledge and skill to do it right.

In any event, a pro would clear coat the entire panel once the paint repair was done.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Spot paints can end up being very hard to spot, but it takes a good amount of knowledge and skill to do it right.

In any event, a pro would clear coat the entire panel once the paint repair was done.
Yep. The only painting I've ever been a part of was at Maaco and it was rarely done right, so like you said, only a pro can do it good :D

ok off topic but whats up with the pink hair chick???
It's a secret underground pedafile cult. :shady:

·
Registered
161 Posts
your missing the point, two different types of paint have been put down so are never gonna blend. You should only mask for the first coats, sand then blend but its not gonna happen. You need two pack paint on it. Go to a shop

·
i love beer
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I took it to a bodyshop in Medina and they will fix the dents and re-paint it for 260. I might have them do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts