Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
RIP RSX-S
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can carbon fiber hoods be painted? Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
274 Posts
WillMTran said:
Can carbon fiber hoods be painted? Has anyone done this?
it's gonna take a lot of clear coat, my hood took like 9 or 10.. the cf soaks it in ...but when its done it looks like you can dive into the hood...and you have to be careful you don't get little tiny air bubbles in the clear coat. try and go to a shop that has painted cf before

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
yeah i was thinking of doing it to mine.. my stock hood weights like 45 pounds i think, the cf i want is like 8.. but i'm not to fond of a cf hood that doesn't match the rest of the car (color wise)

the only thing with the stock hood (eclipse), is it disipates heat real good, the cf may not do the same.. no matter how hard i run the car, touching under the hood is like touching the inside of your car.. its like normal outside temperature.. it never gets hot because of the heat reflectors, etc.. with the rsx, the underhood got kind of warm/hot when you got on it.

either way, the part of the hood that's near the windshield.. adjust it so its higher and leaves a .25 - .75" gap. this lets the hot air escape.. although may fog your windshield more when its cold out

·
Registered
34,829 Posts
drizzo1234 said:
it's gonna take a lot of clear coat, my hood took like 9 or 10.. the cf soaks it in ...but when its done it looks like you can dive into the hood...and you have to be careful you don't get little tiny air bubbles in the clear coat. try and go to a shop that has painted cf before
:iamwiths: yea, i thought it would be simple when i got the sides of mine painted but its pretty hard to do it. as stated above, many laers need to be applied to provide a clean and good finish.

check out my avatar for a little picture of it,haha..if you want more, let me know.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have mine painted. Came out grrrrrreat. It's got blue on the outsides of it and silver inside that. looks hot

·
Registered
530 Posts
wow that does look good

that makes me want to do it to my xgt hood

·
WooHa WooHa
649 Posts
TypeRaisin said:
no, they do not come like that. like i said earlier, you need to paint it to color match your car. mine :D

Like TypeRaisin said, it does not come painted....

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
how much did that cost to get the hood painted like that???? Also someone mentioned in other threads of putting a clear/white type of color on the hood. So at certain angles it would look white and others it would look CF. Anyone know what I am talking about??

·
WooHa WooHa
649 Posts
I got it done free of chage during my accident.... :laughing:
But I heard that other got it done as low as $100....

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
saw in some magazine where they mixed the car color with clearcoat to give the cf hood a ting of the natural color but still see the fibers, was very tight, I want to try that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ok all you c/f hood guys, i got a wrecked 2002 rsx type s here, i need the stock factory hood, 2 front fenders, and a windshield. anybody help me out here ? thanks in advance. warren, from port st. lucie florida 34983

1 - 20 of 38 Posts