Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I have chrome finished alloy wheels on my RSX. I hate shiny rims so badly.
I want to see if I can paint them. Has anyone done it here before?
Is it doable? Does it come out nice or creepy?
I know I have to scratch and pill off the chrome finish and then paint it. However, it is somehow cheaper than buying already painted alloy wheels. I could not find a cheap set anywhere around.
Post your thoughts, experiences, and picture of your job (if you have done such thing).
Thank you all,

Great website to get help so far:thumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Post a picture of the rims...and what color you going for

I painted my stock 02-04 rims white.

Went from that to this...as it sit now

Painting chrome is easy. You don't have to strip the chrome.
All you need to do is scuff the surface real good so the base coat will adhere better to the surface.
Apply light base coats (2-3 coats base)/ apply lightly Clear coat (2-3)
You can do a gloss clear coat or matte finish clear coat.
You just need to use high temp paint or the paint specifically for rims.

I'm sure you found the DIY article and that is more detailed than what I just said...lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay! Unfortunatley I could not find any DIY on this! I can't work with this search function!
Yours look nice! I will post pics tomorrow! I wanna go fluorescent orange :D

·
slow af
1,011 Posts
agreed with above post about plasti dip i would do that forsure. altho if for some reason you wanted to paint them i actually painted my old chrome rims that came on my car black, i just scuffed up the chrome and painted right over it, and to this day its still on. i did it about 4 years ago my friend has them now.

·
Grrrr
236 Posts
Like everyone else is saying. To keep the value of your rims i would atleast put a few layers of plasti dip on the rims before you paint them, thats if you dont like the plasti dip color. But if you want a permanent kinda thing then just scuff up the chrome real good and prime and paint and you should be good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your inputs! I am going to review the DIYs and research more on how to paint flawlessly first since this is my first time painting rims. Then I will give my talent a try :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh! and the main part: how much am I going to spend if I want a quality job (roughly speaking)?

·
Banned
601 Posts
Post a picture of the rims...and what color you going for

I painted my stock 02-04 rims white.

Went from that to this...as it sit now

Painting chrome is easy. You don't have to strip the chrome.
All you need to do is scuff the surface real good so the base coat will adhere better to the surface.
Apply light base coats (2-3 coats base)/ apply lightly Clear coat (2-3)
You can do a gloss clear coat or matte finish clear coat.
You just need to use high temp paint or the paint specifically for rims.

I'm sure you found the DIY article and that is more detailed than what I just said...lol.
Lol I did the same thing nice rims bro

·
Grrrr
236 Posts
Should I remove the tires? and go all the way in the rims or the outside is enough?
You dont have to remove the tires but it will make things much easier for you if you do. An option is to use index cards around the inside of where the rim and tire meet and slide it in their to keep the paint off the tires, But i will tell you that it will make painting the edges to get on the outside edge of the rim a little more difficult to do. It is possible, because many people here have done it that way, just make sure theres no wind and you should do fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts