Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried painting my wheels not too long ago to save money for a lowering kit and exhaust system instead, but after i sanded one wheel down I tried to apply the primer and it just didn't stick. So now i have one wheel that is all scratched from sanding it down and I am wondering if I did something wrong.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I tried painting my wheels not too long ago to save money for a lowering kit and exhaust system instead, but after i sanded one wheel down I tried to apply the primer and it just didn't stick. So now i have one wheel that is all scratched from sanding it down and I am wondering if I did something wrong.
make sure they are CLEAN !! wipe em down with acitone or somthing like it before painting. KEY ! and what did u use for grit sandpaper??

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I used 180 and 320 I think. Could it have been the temperature? It was like 40 degrees when I tried to do it.
Wait till it gets warmer out to paint them. I used 320, 480 and a higher grit to smooth out before I sprayed the primer when I did mine. I used self etching primer and krylon paint and everything stuck well.. But deffinitley should be warm when you do it

·
JDM is contagious
427 Posts
I used 180 and 320 I think. Could it have been the temperature? It was like 40 degrees when I tried to do it.
Anything below 50 degrees and you're going to have problems, I'd wait until it is atleast a solid 70 and let it cure for a day or so before putting the wheels on, unless you want plenty of rock chips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the temperature thing. In cold temp paint won't dry. U want it to cure in sunlight or a heated room of some sort. Don't use blow dryer. Use those portable heater out of Walmart. The heat should help cure faster. Then let it cool off a day before giving it a good wipe job to shine out the gloss. Don't use drive thru car wash for a week at the least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts