Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv searched with no luck.

ok heres whats going on. close to 2 years ago, i installed jdm sidemarkers and taped the wires into my parking lights for them to light up everytime i switch on my parking lights. no problems. it worked out great.

maybe a year ago i got a 2 gauge pod installed and again i taped the tiny bulbs on the 2 gauges into the parking lights. worked out great again.

now recently, maybe about 2 weeks ago i jumped into my car and when i went to turn on my lights BAM! nothing! i heard the fuse pop. so i replaced it and it blew again. so i pulled the car into the garage and basically disconnected my sidemarkers and my gauge lights. I then put in a new fuse and it worked just fine again.

but 2 days ago, it blew out again. i looked under the hood. checked my parking light wires where my sidemarkers and gauges were taped into and to me they looked ok.

basically i have ran out of ideas to fix the problem. this really really sucks because my rear taillights dont come on either so it makes night time driving impossible. is there anyone that can please help me out? is there a type of devise that can pin point where a short could be? i would hate to take the car to the dealership for this cuz it prob wont be cheap.
:noes:
help!
thanks!

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
The smoking gun is the point where you made the taps (into the red/yel wire?). Sounds like the insulation isn't good on the taps and they're shorting against the chassis. It shouldn't be hard to run that down.

·
Crunch time
3,387 Posts
I think you're pulling too much power from the stock parking lights. The load probably can't handle it after 2 years of large load. Your wiring is probably in series, not parallel, and essentially, it tries to draw more power at once to supply the gauge and the sidemarker the power. I think you should reset the ecu and disconnect the battery and reconnect it. ECU doesn't have anything to do with sidemarkers, but when you jumped it, it could've caused a voltage disparity in your car's electrical system. I would try disconnecting the battery first, and if this doesn't work, you might have to wire your gauge pod somewhere else...or see if the wiring is in series of parallel...

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks! i will def. unplug the battery for a few minutes. sorry for not clarifying better but in my first post when i said the problem started 2 weeks ago and i disconnected the sidemarkers and the gauge lights, i left them disconnected. as of right now they are still disconnected.

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no luck! i disconnected the battery for about 15 mins and it is still blowing the fuse. i called acura and they said that it could also be caused from my aftermarket HU or my cig lighter plug. he said they need to do a diagnostic on it which is $110 for 1 hour. he said it could take longer.

does anyone know if what the dealer is saying is true??

·
likes to troubleshoot
2,539 Posts
... i called acura and they said that it could also be caused from my aftermarket HU or my cig lighter plug. he said they need to do a diagnostic on it which is $110 for 1 hour. he said it could take longer.

does anyone know if what the dealer is saying is true??
Not likely. The accessory plug is a completely different circuit and fuse from the taillights, dash lights, side marker, and parking lights circuit. Does your HU take power from the side marker tap also? If not, then no.

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not likely. The accessory plug is a completely different circuit and fuse from the taillights, dash lights, side marker, and parking lights circuit. Does your HU take power from the side marker tap also? If not, then no.
No, my HU has nothing to do with my parking lights or sidemarkers. so i guess the problem is my parking light wires that got taped into. at this point i could careless if i just leave my sidemarkers disconnected and same with my a-piller gauge pod lights. il eventually just wire up the sidemarkers to my blinkers. but my problem still stands. my parking lights dont work. :(
i guess its back to the garage tomarrow to figure this shit out.
thanks for the comment...

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok update.
i had a aftermarket alarm installed about 2 years ago which makes the parking lights flash everytime i unlock and lock my car. BUT about 1 year ago the parking lights stoped flashing when i locked or unlocked my car BUT my parking lights could still be switched on whenever i wanted. now do u guys think this could be causing the problem? the alarm still works great. but the parking lights just stoped flashing a while ago and i just didnt care to get it fixed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
any update on this issue? I'm having the same problem

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what Car Toys and I believed to be causing the problem was the wire that makes my parking lights flash when i armed and disarmed my doors using my aftermarket alarm. So a simple snip of a wire fixed the problem. This was performed a few days after i made this thread. So far so good, only shitty thing is that now no lights light up when i lock and unlock my car. but it doesnt bother me that much anymore.

do u have any aftermarket mods that have anything to do with the lights?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.