Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went in yesterday at 10:15 to take my test at a prometric testing facility. same one i went to for my basic and advanced test with no issue. only this time their server had crashed and i ended up sitting there for 4 hours while they tried to fix it before it was to late and i had to reschedule. rescheduled for today at 8:30 cause i had to work at 10 only to find the issue was not resolved the day before. so i wait until 10 and they get it running and im off to take the test.

test was about what i expected, passed it though, making me the only certified master installer in ohio and one of only 87 in the country. so relieved to have it finished and have all that stress lifted. so anyone else here certified?

·
Registered
601 Posts
GRATS DUDE!!!!!... mine is in 2 weeks :D...

·
Registered
601 Posts
im only advancd boo hoo :(

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
I learned All I know before there ever was MECP Certification and by the time it was beginning to role out in 91 I was only installing part time so I never bothered with it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
make sure you are well versed in building crossover networks. i got a 70 on that section :noes:
WOW talk about being close to failing the test. thanks for the heads up. do they focus on one section over the others?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I learned All I know before there ever was MECP Certification and by the time it was beginning to role out in 91 I was only installing part time so I never bothered with it.
thats awesome. its nice to have ya know, accomplish something. also its great when customers trust us with their cars knowing we are certified. the only downside is its just paper saying that your certified which doesn't show how truly skilled you are. i know a lot of people who just take the basic test and damn they suck at installing :noes:

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have been doing installs professionally for going on 8 years now and never bothered with it before now. i now have an incentive for it so went from no mecp cert through all three steps to master in 7 1/5 months.

WOW talk about being close to failing the test. thanks for the heads up. do they focus on one section over the others?
its 5 sections with 40 questions for each section. part i struggled with was mostly about building crossover networks with capacitors and inductors. so make sure you know that crap backwards and forwards and the rest is pretty easy if you have been doing it for a good while. i personally have never made a crossover by hand so my only experience with that was from the study guide.

congrats dom! thats badass!
thanks josh :thumbsup:

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
its 5 sections with 40 questions for each section. part i struggled with was mostly about building crossover networks with capacitors and inductors. so make sure you know that crap backwards and forwards and the rest is pretty easy if you have been doing it for a good while. i personally have never made a crossover by hand so my only experience with that was from the study guide.
Back when I did installs full time building xovers was a fact of life, I had to build 18 db ones for tweeters daily and for subs we were always using coils, went through cases of 8 Mh coils back then as we didn't have amps with xovers and the outboard units like the Audio control 2xs were 120 bucks or more which were expensive when you shelled out 500 on an amp, and w/o the internet and Ebay, prices were a lot higher. Plus most comps didn't have xovers like they do now or you were buying seperate units. Congrats on the cert though as i only know one other person that has done the Master cert.

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Back when I did installs full time building xovers was a fact of life, I had to build 18 db ones for tweeters daily and for subs we were always using coils, went through cases of 8 Mh coils back then as we didn't have amps with xovers and the outboard units like the Audio control 2xs were 120 bucks or more which were expensive when you shelled out 500 on an amp, and w/o the internet and Ebay, prices were a lot higher. Plus most comps didn't have xovers like they do now or you were buying seperate units. Congrats on the cert though as i only know one other person that has done the Master cert.
when i first started we had the inductor coils for low pass filters. they were iron core and had to way 10 pounds a piece :rotfl:

·
Fanboi killer
2,498 Posts
awesome job man. I have all the study guides, just never really thought of persuing it as a career. Most shops in my area (NY) don't really deal with MECP (or any sanction) itself, they are the home breed of installer that learn as they go, some are great and some are just horrid (I'd fit myself in the latter ;)

·
no longer blown ;(
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i tried to get my cert before either, just because it was not a requirement at my last shop. i have been doing this for almost 8 years now and just now attempted it. but unfortunately im not the only master certified installer in the state any longer :( but its a good thing, cause it is my full timer who just got his. so now my shop has the only two master installers in the entire state :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts