Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’ve been searching through forums and have yet to come to a concise and clear answer at least in 2020.

Will my car pass smog with an I/RH/E and Ktuner Reflash #2 in California?

I am aware that my intake and exhaust are C.A.R.B legal and will not hinder my ability to pass smog. However, I am afraid that my DC Sports Race Header might cause issues.

Although the race header is illegal in California, I did get my ECU reflashed with Ktuner reflash #2. This hides my CEL but will the OBDII scanner read the incomplete code since the reflash disables the secondary O2 sensor? I’ve seen on forums that I am okay as long as the readiness monitors are all clear but I’ve also heard that the scanner can detect stored or blocked codes, causing me to fail.

Also another issue I am concerned about is not passing the visual inspection. Would the smog shop be able to tell that I have no cats? I’ve heard mixed answers as well.

Lastly, should I be concerned about the strong odor produced from not having cats? I’ve heard from few that they can easily detect no cats, causing me to fail.

I know solutions are to go back to stock and to go to a shop that doesn’t really care what mods I have but those posts are all more than 5 years ago. If anyone has any helpful information regarding any of their smog checks as of recent, it is graciously appreciated!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Dude, you've already answered your own question. The word "illegal" means you won't pass, and that includes your reflash. You need to have all readiness monitors with the exception of evap. Any smog tech with common sense will take one look at your header and fail you, not to mention they will smell it.

Why are you doubting the posts you've read? The posts that are 5 years old, 10 years, or even 18 years are all still relevant if you have an RSX. Whatever you have read is correct, you need to go back to stock, or try and find a dirty smog tech.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude, you've already answered your own question. The word "illegal" means you won't pass, and that includes your reflash. You need to have all readiness monitors with the exception of evap. Any smog tech with common sense will take one look at your header and fail you, not to mention they will smell it.

Why are you doubting the posts you've read? The posts that are 5 years old, 10 years, or even 18 years are all still relevant if you have an RSX. Whatever you have read is correct, you need to go back to stock, or try and find a dirty smog tech.
I understand what the term illegal means. And if someone were to tell me what is legal in California and what isn’t, I would say the same thing about not being able to pass. Your information is no different than anything I’ve read before.

What I’m asking for is anyone that has passed a smog check with the same mods or more in California in recent memory.

I have also read of people who have passed smog with no issues with RH and reflash so what’s your explanation for that? If you read my post, the readiness monitors would be all clear excluding evap because the reflash would eliminate/hide the secondary O2 sensor. In turn, it would also eliminate the CEL. I have also heard that the smog techs only check for readiness and if there is a CEL. My question was whether or not their OBDII can detect hidden codes since the reflash will eliminate the secondary O2.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I understand what the term illegal means. And if someone were to tell me what is legal in California and what isn’t, I would say the same thing about not being able to pass. Your information is no different than anything I’ve read before.

What I’m asking for is anyone that has passed a smog check with the same mods or more in California in recent memory.

I have also read of people who have passed smog with no issues with RH and reflash so what’s your explanation for that? If you read my post, the readiness monitors would be all clear excluding evap because the reflash would eliminate/hide the secondary O2 sensor. In turn, it would also eliminate the CEL. I have also heard that the smog techs only check for readiness and if there is a CEL. My question was whether or not their OBDII can detect hidden codes since the reflash will eliminate the secondary O2.
They passed smog with a header and a reflash because they found a dirty smog tech, or the tech didn't do a visual inspection. I've never met a smog tech that didn't do the visual. If people are telling you that, ask them where you can find that tech. I did read your post, that's why i said everything needs to be set except for evap. By my understanding, it's the OBD2 monitor that is disabled, not the CEL.
The following is directly from Ktuner's website:
Disables/Monitors has error code disables and monitor test disables. These functions modify emissions are intended for off-road use only. Check your state and federal laws about modifying emissions equipment before use.

I'll disable mine later and see what it says to make sure, but it seems pretty clearly stated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They passed smog with a header and a reflash because they found a dirty smog tech, or the tech didn't do a visual inspection. I've never met a smog tech that didn't do the visual. If people are telling you that, ask them where you can find that tech. I did read your post, that's why i said everything needs to be set except for evap. By my understanding, it's the OBD2 monitor that is disabled, not the CEL.
The following is directly from Ktuner's website:
Disables/Monitors has error code disables and monitor test disables. These functions modify emissions are intended for off-road use only. Check your state and federal laws about modifying emissions equipment before use.

I'll disable mine later and see what it says to make sure, but it seems pretty clearly stated.
I’ve come to terms with the race header being a no go and I will just have to put the stock header back on but now my biggest concern is the reflashed ECU.

Since it was simply a reflash, am I able to revert back to stock calibrations so I can pass emissions? I’ve seen on the forums that the best thing is to purchase a stock ECU and plug it in before smog but I’ve also seen that they will fail you if that ECU does not match the VIN of the car? Care to clear that up for me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
You'll need an additional unmodified ECU unfortunately, and yes you will be failed for a VIN that doesn't match. I know that the dealership can manually enter your VIN on a new ECU to match your key/immobilizer. From what I'm reading though, it's not possible to match two ECU's to a single VIN. Is your immobilizer disabled?

·
Been Around for a while
1,018 Posts
I would not write off the header, I would give it a try personally if it was me. I have recently been to three different smog places and their visual inspection if they even did one is very high level.
I could have easily passed. You can also purchase a cheap scan tool (less than $30) hook it up and see if the registers are ready and other smog related.

Not having CATS + CEL is a no go. I don't think you'll slide on that one even with the blindest of smog techs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I
You'll need an additional unmodified ECU unfortunately, and yes you will be failed for a VIN that doesn't match. I know that the dealership can manually enter your VIN on a new ECU to match your key/immobilizer. From what I'm reading though, it's not possible to match two ECU's to a single VIN. Is your immobilizer disabled?
I believe that with the reflash, it leaves the immobilizer disabled for that specific ECU. So if that’s the case then I should be okay with getting an ECU matching my model and year and have the dealership manually program my VIN to said ECU.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I

I believe that with the reflash, it leaves the immobilizer disabled for that specific ECU. So if that’s the case then I should be okay with getting an ECU matching my model and year and have the dealership manually program my VIN to said ECU.
Scratch that, it does not explicitly say that for the reflash. I was getting mixed up with the Ktuner End-User disabling the immobolizer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You'll need an additional unmodified ECU unfortunately, and yes you will be failed for a VIN that doesn't match.
I've never had that problem with any ECU for CA smog. If your ECU dies on you, you can swap a used one in legally without any modifications. I've done this for years and no shady techs required that I am aware of.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've never had that problem with any ECU for CA smog. If your ECU dies on you, you can swap a used one in legally without any modifications. I've done this for years and no shady techs required that I am aware
I very well could be wrong, but that’s what i read on here. I looked for all of the threads I could find.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never had that problem with any ECU for CA smog. If your ECU dies on you, you can swap a used one in legally without any modifications. I've done this for years and no shady techs required that I am aware of.
So what you’re saying is that I wouldn’t need to go to the dealership and have them manually enter my VIN to that ECU? I can just swap in any used one before a smog and be fine?

·
Registered
240 Posts
So what you’re saying is that I wouldn’t need to go to the dealership and have them manually enter my VIN to that ECU? I can just swap in any used one before a smog and be fine?
Yes, provided you have the matching key/ignition switch and can start the car. Otherwise a trip to the dealer to match the existing key to the new (stock) ECU would be required.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, provided you have the matching key/ignition switch and can start the car. Otherwise a trip to the dealer to match the existing key to the new (stock) ECU would be required.
Oh got it. So I would also need to purchase the key along with the random ECU I choose to buy?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts